UMass Cranberry Station Technician- MA
Organization: UMass Cranberry Station www.umass.edu/cranberry
Position Title: Technician Position
Location: East Wareham, MA
Hours and Compensation: Biweekly salary $1,223. Work week is 37.5 hours. Full benefits included, see http://www.umass.edu/humres/benefits_home.htm
Position Available: November 1, 2013
Manage the laboratory and field research programs for Plant Nutrition at the Cranberry Station under the direction of Carolyn DeMoranville. Assist in the Weed/IPM program under the direction of Hilary Sandler. Conduct experiments, maintain laboratory, greenhouse, and field trials, collect and analyze data, supervise hourly and summer assistants, assist graduate students. Assist in the preparation of extension materials and manuscripts.
1. Obtain materials, set up, conduct, and evaluate all aspects of experiments in the assigned programs.
2. Arrange for experimental sites on commercial cranberry beds.
3. Compile and analyze data and assist in generating reports and in preparing manuscripts. This will include statistical analyses.
4. Maintain laboratory and greenhouse space, including day-to-day upkeep and ordering of supplies.
5. Assist in the preparation of extension materials – factsheets and newsletter articles.
6. Maintain weather gathering equipment and weather records.
7. Perform other related duties as required.
Bachelors degree in Biology, Horticulture, or related field; experience in laboratory and field research, good communications and writing skills; ability to work with word processing and spreadsheet PC programs; highly motivated and able to work with minimal supervision and a part of a team, valid driver’s license. Preferred: Master’s Degree in Biology, Horticulture, or related field; some supervisory experience; refereed journal article or extension publication record; experience with SAS statistical software.
How to Apply
Request an application packet by calling Deb Cannon at 508-295-2212 x10 or via e-mail at email@example.com Review of applications will begin on September 30. Offer of employment is contingent on outcome of criminal background check.