Chief of Party, Sanitation & Hygiene- Washington DC
Organization: Population Services International
Position Title: Chief of Part, Sanitation & Hygiene
Location: 1120 19th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, District of Columbia, 20036, United States. This position is based in Washington DC with approximately 25% international travel and will report to the Deputy Director of Malaria and Child Survival.
Hours and Compensation: not given
Application Deadline: not given
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization, operating in more than 60 developing countries. PSI creates demand for essential health products and services by using private sector marketing techniques and innovative communications campaigns to motivate positive changes in health behavior. On the supply side, PSI works with the commercial sector to increase the availability of these products and services at prices which are affordable to at-risk populations. With a bottom-line orientation that is rare among non-profits, PSI social markets products and services for family planning, maternal and child health, and the prevention of AIDS, malaria and other diseases. For more information, please see our web site at: http://www.psi.org.
PSI seeks a Chief of Party, Sanitation & Hygiene for an anticipated multi-country Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project. This position will lead a project implementation team in Washington DC and up to six country programs. The Project Director will provide strategic leadership, and technical assistance in areas including WASH program design and implementation, business and marketing support, quality assurance and act as the primary donor liaison.
The Chief of Party, Sanitation & Hygiene should have an entrepreneurial spirit and significant leadership, management and international development experience, including with market-based approaches to development and with water, sanitation and hygiene and/or environmental health programs.
*Position is contingent on award and funding
- Oversee the design and implementation of a multi-country, comprehensive WASH project focused on social marketing, social franchising and market development approaches.
- Provide expertise in developing and scaling up sustainable business moels for water, sanitation, and hygiene, including research on existing markets and barriers to growth.
- Provide effective guidance, mentorship and support to technical members of the in-country management teams and staff assigned to the project.
- Develop country specific implementation plans including timelines and assigned roles and responsibilities.
- Influence the context in which PSI works in WASH through representation at relevant technical working groups, conferences, workshops, and policy-oriented forums using appropriate media.
- Develop and implement processes and materials for sharing lessons learned about tools, approaches and models, so that these lessons can be used in future WASH programs.
- Ensure all project deliverables, as stated in the donor contract, and/or agreed separately with the donor, are achieved on time and to the highest standard.
- Monitor project expenditure (with support from PSI/DC) and manage the overall budget.
- Manage sub-contract development and negotiations; coordinate partner activities and monitor performance against agreed deliverables in sub contracts.
- Represent PSI at relevant donor meetings.
- MBA or MSC or a Master’s degree in a relevant technical field
- 7 – 10 years designing, implementing and managing large, complex projects in/for developing countries, including managing a team, preferably in Africa or Asia.
- 3 – 5 years developing, implementing, and managing market-based approaches in developing countries
- Prior experience working with finance and/or business development agencies to develop financial products and to deliver business development services
- Proven ability to manage a program of at least $15M USD in value
- Fluency in English is required and fluency in French is desired
- The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative and strategic thinker, and will have: excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; a passion for private sector approaches to development; and proven ability to produce results
- Previous experience serving as COP, Project Director, Regional Director or Country Director roles leading teams on large WASH projects in developing countries with funding from DFID or other international donor-funded entities.
- Previous donor experience with a concentration in DFID-funded programs.
- Willingness to travel approximately 25% during the life of the program
How to Apply
Please apply online at www.psi.org. No calls or emails please.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.