Senior Economist- San Francisco,CA
Position Title: Senior Economist
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: full time
Application Deadline: not given
Next 10 is supporting a new senior-level research position that will add to our small team working to educate and engage Californians on issues relating to the intersection of the economy, the environment, and an improved quality of life for all Californians. This position is being offered for the first time by Next 10 to expand our current capacity. California leads the world in technology and innovative public policy. Next 10’s research addresses these areas and focuses on moving California forward. We are looking for an experienced, flexible and creative Senior Economist to play a large role in developing our future research.
The Senior Economist will work independently to develop original research. The position’s primary responsibilities will be to 1) provide publishable research and analysis to advance the organization’s mission, and 2) advise on innovative new research areas for the organization to consider. The Senior Economist will produce independent research briefs along with outreach and communications (blog posts, etc.) to promote Next 10 research, review research prepared by outside experts for Next 10, and will provide background research on various project/issue areas being considered by the organization
Draft and edit reports, research briefs, white papers, fact sheets, and blog posts as directed, and revise products as necessary for publication
·Collect and analyze data, including data on economic performance from our site www.compare50.org, and produce top-quality economic analysis as well as environmental research on approved subject areas
- Maintain a working knowledge of California’s economy and climate/energy policy issues and research, and prepare background research on other issue areas under consideration by the organization
- Ensure that written materials published by the organization are technically accurate and credible; up to date with respect to relevant laws, policies, and economics; and accessibly communicated
- Prepare and present both original research and key findings from other Next 10 research to diverse audiences
·Participate with Next 10’s communication consultants and staff in the media release of Next 10 reports and identify key media opportunities to achieve maximum results
·Graduate degree in economics or a closely related field
·Several years of professional experience in research positions with strong quantitative, analytical and data skills and a history of publishing economic analysis
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex subject matter to a broad audience in terms that non-experts can understand, and communicate effectively with senior level stakeholders, expert researchers, economists, and other consultants and colleagues
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, and a willingness to both take initiative and direction in a team environment
- Commitment to Next 10’s mission and to working in a nonpartisan environment
- Knowledge and focus on California’s economic and environmental performance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office as well as statistical analysis software
Additional Desired Skills
- A PhD in economics or a closely related field is not required but would be preferred
- In-depth knowledge about the California economy
- Project management experience
- Experience presenting research findings to various audiences
- Ability to produce maps, charts, and tables for reports
- Proficiency in speaking Spanish or Chinese
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and brief writing sample to email@example.com with “Senior Economist position” as the subject line. No phone calls please.
This full-time position offers competitive compensation and full benefits and is located in Next 10’s San Francisco office.
Next 10 is an equal opportunity employer. Minority applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.