Assistant to Executive Vice President, SEIU- Washington DC
Organization: Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
Position Title: Assistant to the Vice President
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: full time
Application Deadline: not given
SEIU is the largest and fastest growing union in America. Our diverse staff of organizers help health care workers, janitors and security workers, child care workers, and public employees unite and fight for dignity, respect, and economic justice. SEIU is an aggressive, dynamic union. We are a leading voice in such progressive issues as quality, affordable healthcare for all, and immigration reform. Throughout SEIU, more than 2.2 million members, leaders, and staff are united in a common mission: to improve the lives of working people and their families and lead the way to a more just and humane society.
SEIU is seeking an Assistant to the Executive Vice President (EVP) for a broad and complex set of assignments related to the duties of the EVP. The EVP’s current work includes oversight of union operations, governance issues, and long term strategy development. This position shares the commitment to providing the highest level of responsiveness to a variety of Union stakeholders; maintaining an overall standard of excellence for the staff in the Office of the EVP and for managing operations of the office; and performing other related duties as assigned.
• Coordinate work of senior staff, Union officers and others in relation to the work of the EVP.
• Handle sensitive issues that require confidentiality.
• Coordinate EVP’s initiatives, committees, and special assignments.
• Plan and assist in the preparation of agendas and materials for meetings or presentations held by the EVP with officers, key staff, members, and employers.
• Produce sound and accurate memos, letters, executive presentations, and complex spreadsheets, while meeting strict deadlines for completion.
• Anticipate problems, critical issues, and opportunities as they arise and advise the EVP accordingly.
Bachelor’s Degree and the following:
• Five or more years of experience in community, political, environmental, labor or other organizations, including operations management, executive scheduling, and handling multiple and often conflicting priorities.
• Three to five years of successful experience working at an executive level within a large organization.
Must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Extremely high level of organization.
• Professional manner and skill level.
• Excellent judgment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization, both in and outside the Union.
• Ability to respond to changing priorities and crisis situations.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with multiple priorities through to completion. • Proven problem-solving skills, especially where discretionary judgment is required. • Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Ability to exercise discretion, confidentiality and judgment in dealing with sensitive issues.
• Fluency in a second language is highly desirable.
• Ability to work with and get along with diverse staff throughout Union.
• Willingness to work additional hours to ensure tasks are completed on time.
• Ability to function under pressure.
• Ability to meet strict deadlines.
• Understanding of and commitment to improving the lives of working people.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA): Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel required.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Apply Here