Communications Manager- Orleans, CA
Organization: Klamath Riverkeeper
Position Title: Communications Manager
Location: Orleans, CA
This position can be based anywhere in northern California or southern Oregon, however, priority will be given to applicants who reside in, or within two hours of, Orleans, CA (i.e. Ashland, Arcata, Mt. Shasta). If the successful applicant relocates to Orleans, we can help in the search for housing. This is a very remote, spectacularly beautiful region of far Northwest California where California’s three largest Native American tribes are actively engaged in resource management decisions.
Hours and Compensation: Starting Salary – $31k to $47K DOE, health insurance, three weeks paid vacation during the first year of employment, professional development, and a flexible schedule.
Application Deadline: November 4, 2013
KRK seeks a highly motivated, tech-savvy individual to overhaul and manage our online communications and advocacy as well as our membership program. This individual will also assist with publications, media support, and potentially media relations. The exact responsibilities of this position can be tailored based on qualifications.
• Create and circulate action alerts, petitions, and bi-annual e-newsletter.
• Maintain and expand social media presence and integrate it with action alerts, petitions and website.
• Update website as needed. (Note: Applicant must know or be eager to learn basic WordPress. We’re issuing a separate contract for website redesign.)
• Maximize list growth and constituent responsiveness.
Member & Constituent Relations (Note: these tasks can be shared with Program Assistant)
• Manage constituent database.
• Ensure accurate processing of new members.
• Coordinate member recruitment and retention with Program Assistant.
• Maintain online membership recruitment platforms including donation processing.
• Organize and attend public events in coordination with Program Assistant.
• Maintain and produce inventory of merchandise for member gifts and resale.
• Grassroots organizing (if successful applicant has local roots).
Edit various printed materials. It’s a plus, but not required, if you can design & layout bi-annual newsletter, flyers, facts sheets, posters, etc.
• Monitor news coverage and maintain up-to-date media contact lists.
• Additional media relations responsibilities may be assigned depending on experience and interests.
• Commitment to environmental, economic, and racial justice and experience with public-interest advocacy for non-profits &/or tribal governments.
• At least two years experience with online advocacy (action alerts, petitions, etc.), preferably using Salsa (AKA Democracy in Action) or another Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) service.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency with MS Excel (i.e. sorting, merging, eliminating duplicates and mail merge into MS Word for large snail mailings).
Beneficial, but not required
• Experience with water science and/or policy, Klamath River issues, Native American cultures, and rural living.
• WordPress, Adobe Design programs (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
• Campaign platforms such as Causes.com, SignOn.org and/or Change.org.
• Media relations and/or media databases such as Vocus or Cision.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume only to “jobs (at) klamathriver.org” no later than Nov. 4th, 2013. Please specify which position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
In your cover letter, please specifically address all applicable qualifications (required and beneficial) outlined in this job description. We will ask qualified applicants to provide references and writing samples, but not during the first stage of the application process. No phone calls or additional emails please.