Environmental Communications Internship- Washington DC
Organization: The Center for International Environmental Law
Position Title: Environmental Communications Internship
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: unpaid
Application Deadline: not given
The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) is seeking exceptionally motivated undergraduate students, graduate students, and graduates for the opportunity to help a ground-breaking environmental organization dramatically increase the role of communications in advancing its mission, growing its audience and building its supporter base. The intern will work with the Communications Manager to frame CIEL’s message, develop and maintain a consistent organizational voice, manage and support our engagement with both online and traditional media, and grow our audience. The Communications Intern will: support CIEL’s communications capacity and strategy; draft material on behalf of CIEL programs, activities and leadership; edit external communications; and support online outreach and supporter engagement. The Communications Intern reports to the Communications Manager.
- Draft and edit communications materials including news releases, news materials, online content, program announcements, reports and development materials and multimedia products;
- Conduct research to identify journalists and media outlets to approach for coverage;
- Analyze, track and optimize CIEL’s web presence;
- Support creation and implementation of email campaigns and other social media communications;
- Maintain timesheets contemporaneously and submit them on time;
- Meet periodically as requested, with the Communications Manager.
- Experience or training in journalism, public relations, or communications;
- Exceptional writing skills, including the demonstrated ability to write in a wide variety of formats and to translate complex subject matter clearly and compellingly for a variety of audiences;
- Strong and demonstrated experience with a variety of communication technologies and formats, including business-relevant experience in the use of online and social media;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Knowledge of and experience with Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimization;
- Interns/externs work full or part-time during the school year, and may receive credit from their schools. Summer interns typically work full-time during the summer months. Due to limited resources, internships and externships are unpaid.
How to Apply
Please submit a CV or resume, cover-letter and an example of recent work to Amanda: email@example.com.