Policy & Advocacy Associate Internship- Washington DC
Organization: Jubilee USA Network
Position Title: Policy & Advocacy Associate (Internship)
Location: 212 E Capitol St. NE, Washington, DC, 20003, US
Hours and Compensation: 40 hours/week, unpaid, modest monthly travel stipend
Application Deadline: November 1, 2013 (for spring, can apply now for summer as well)
Have you ever wondered how change happens? Ever wonder if you could be a part of something that will improve the lives of billions around the world? It all starts here.
Jubilee USA Network is building an international economy that serves, protects and promotes the participation of the most vulnerable. Jubilee USA Network has won critical global financial reforms and more than $130 billion in debt relief for the world’s poorest people. We are an alliance of more than 75 U.S. organizations, 250 faith communities and 50 Jubilee global partners.
Jubilee associate positions are for qualified individuals with an expressed interest in working on debt cancellation, human rights and global economic justice. The positions provide an exciting opportunity for individuals looking to gain experience in a dynamic nonprofit.
Jubilee USA associate positions are unpaid but we do have a modest monthly travel stipend. Arrangements can also be made to receive academic credit for the experience.
INTERNSHIP AND ASSOCIATE POSITIONS
Jubilee USA is a small and collaborative organization. Therefore, all associates will assist with the operations of the organization and will have the opportunity to work with the other teams and create projects suited to their particular interests. All Jubilee associates will have the chance to:
- Attend educational and advocacy events at partner organizations, International Financial Institutions and Congress
- Establish connections through outreach to Jubilee USA’s network of over 75 religious denominations, human rights, environmental, labor and community groups
- Participate in office-wide and team meetings including staff meetings, brainstorming sessions and the annual Network Council meeting (fall only)
- Learn valuable office skills in the everyday operations of a nonprofit
Policy & Advocacy Associate
The Policy and Advocacy Associate position is an internship that works closely with Jubilee USA’s policy team on our newest advocacy campaigns. Encompassing both policy and advocacy, this position will include a wide range of research, writing, lobbying, outreach, organizing and policy education that supports Jubilee’s campaign priorities. Tasks include:
- Maintain Jubilee’s advocacy databases
- Support the policy and advocacy team in communications with Congress and DC-based partner organizations
- Update advocacy-related content for Jubilee website
- Research and write Jubilee materials used for outreach to policymakers and the public
- Assist in outreach to Jubilee’s grassroots community, through phone calls, email communication and meetings on specific campaigns
- Communicate with faith communities about newest activities and campaigns
- Work closely with Jubilee’s advocacy team to design and implement grassroots campaigns including grassroots-friendly education, worship and campaign materials
- Work closely with and support a network of volunteers across the country
- Design and implement e-activism and new media campaigns
- Provide administrative support including:
- Data entry: Entering new supporters and updating existing supporters in our databases
- Office functions: Assist with mailings and other related administrative work to support Jubilee’s grassroots, development and policy activities
- Attend Jubilee USA Network meetings, coalition events and related conferences
Applicants should have strong written and verbal skills, attention to detail, a passion for working on global justice issues and have a strong knowledge of issues of debt and foreign economic policy. Knowledge of computer programs such as Excel and Word and familiarity with online communications is desired. Ability to work as part of a team is necessary. We give applicants that can work 40 hours a week a higher priority but we are flexible.
How to Apply
Jubilee is currently accepting applications for the spring (January/February – May). We will also accept early applications for the summer – if you would like to be considered for the summer please specify that in your introductory email.
Please submit your application to Jubilee USA Network atinternships(at)jubileeusa.org with the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line (ex. Subject: Policy & Advocacy Application) and the following documents attached:
- A cover letter
- Up-to-date resume
- 1-2 page writing sample
If you have not followed these application instructions, we will not consider your application.