Air Policy Director, Natural Gas- NYC, Washington DC, Austin, Boulder
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: Air Policy Director- Natural Gas
Location: NYC, DC, Austin, Boulder
Hours and Compensation: not given
Application Deadline: not given
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Natural Gas Program: Natural gas is an important and growing part of our nation’s energy portfolio. It emits fewer greenhouse gases than coal when combusted and avoids mercury and other dangerous air pollutants that come from coal. It could be a win-win, if–and this is a big “if”–we do it the right way. The “right way” entails putting tough rules in place that lock in mandatory environmental safeguards to protect communities and reduce methane pollution, which undermines natural gas” role as a lower carbon alternative to coal and oil. EDF is taking a leading role to ensure that natural gas provides real and sustained carbon benefits without harming the environment or health of the communities where gas development occurs.
EDF has a long history of fighting for clean air to protect public health and the environment, in the states and nationally. Within our Natural Gas Program, a key strategic priority is To reduce fugitive methane emissions below 1% across the natural gas supply chain in order to maximize the climate benefits of natural gas, reinforcing the environmental and public health argument for closing coal plants. At the same time, this work promotes public health by tackling VOCs and HAPs, along with methane.
Under the direction of the Chief Counsel, Energy Program, the Air Policy Director, who will be part of the Natural Gas team, will proactively design, monitor and advocate for policy reform that reduces methane emissions and improves air quality in targeted states, with an eye on opportunities for nationwide replication. This individual will oversee state-level regulatory and legislative air reform efforts that will be developed and implemented in close collaboration with our regional policy teams, national state policy director, and in-state lobbyists. This individual will serve as the team’s primary content expert on air policy issues, including current air policy laws (state and national), policy and legal opportunities, and emission control and monitoring technologies for the natural gas sector. A technical background and knowledge of the oil and gas industry are essential. This position will work in close coordination with EDF policy/legal, science, health, and communications teams to support these efforts.
The Air Policy Director will directly supervise two members of the Natural Gas team – the Sr. Scientist and Manager, Special Projects.
- Map strategies and opportunities in the policy and political landscape of targeted states for reducing methane and air pollutant emissions from natural gas production, processing, storage and distribution.
- Collaborate with our in-state teams to implement and oversee targeted strategies for developing and gaining consensus among key decision makers and thought leaders on policy prescriptions for achieving EDF’s gas air policy goals particularly through cooperative efforts between natural gas producers and environmental NGOs.
- Develop active working relationships with and participate in strategic coalitions and relationships with industry, regulators, policy makers, “grass tops” opinion leaders and other environmental NGOs.
- Develop and manage relationships with external academics, researchers, and consultants, as well as internal EDF experts, in order to develop and expand EDF’s knowledge base around emission control technologies, monitoring technologies, air policy opportunities, and other key content areas.
- Collaborate with the Natural Gas media director on communications strategies for promoting EDF”s air policy objectives.
- Serve as a public-facing expert on air policy issues.
- As needed, partner with program leaders and EDF’s development team in order to raise funds to support our air policy agenda and manage relationships with major donors.
- Work in collaboration with EDF’s entire natural gas team, as well as other key staff across the organization (legal, science, policy, communications, corporate partnerships, health). Participate in multiple internal cross-functional teams, as needed.
- Manage the work of junior and mid-level staff — including lawyers, researchers, and assistants — on specific projects, on an as needed basis, that relate to air/methane issues.
- Undertake special projects assigned by the Chief Counsel, Energy Program.
- Minimum educational requirement: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or environmental science, with a technical focus. Graduate degree, with in law, public policy or engineering preferred.
- Minimum of seven years” experience working to affect change in policy issues or regulatory processes, ideally with a state, regional or federal agency; and/or within the oil and gas industry.
- Have a network of relevant connections in this field.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental and regulatory issues related to oil and gas production strongly preferred, particularly related air policy.
- Commitment to strong environmental outcomes, market based solutions and sound science.
- Proven track record of developing and managing relationships and contracts with consultants and other external strategic partners.
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and work on fast-paced, dynamic issues.
- Ability to recognize and build on political opportunities for progress.
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader or member of teams in a dynamic and creative environment with colleagues and partners of varied background and experience.
- Able to prioritize and be flexible.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Note: This position requires extensive travel.
How to Apply
Please apply here: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?aj=oe04WfwY&s=EcoEmploy
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please let the employer know that you are responding to the environmental job posting in EcoEmploy.com