Senior Project Manager- NYC, Washington DC
Position Title: Senior Project Manager
Location: 40 West 20th Street, New York, NY, 10011, US or Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: full time
Application Deadline: not given
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC’s Urban Solutions program brings together experts from a variety of fields – energy, water, transportation, food, community development and innovative finance – to develop and deploy proven strategies that address important environmental problems and help ensure that cities and metropolitan regions are as clean, vital and inclusive as possible. Urban Solutions works with on-the-ground public, private and non-profit partners where there is an opportunity to implement policies that unlock the market for new investment in building energy efficiency, green neighborhood development and regional land use and mobility strategies that reduce the harmful impacts of sprawl and support economically strong and sustainable communities.
“Scaling Up Energy Efficiency in Affordable Housing” is a partnership among NRDC, the Energy Foundation and the National Housing Trust (NHT) which seeks to significantly increase and improve investment by utilities in affordable, multifamily housing through effective energy efficiency programs by utilities, and to ensure that owners of affordable multifamily buildings have access to these programs and access to energy consumption data and other measures, resulting in reduced energy expenditures, improved quality of life, and reduced power plant pollution. This national effort will involve building an effective national network among energy efficiency and affordable housing advocates and practitioners, engage in up to 12 states to increase utility funding for energy efficiency in affordable multi-family housing, and engage and educate building owners and operators of affordable multi-family buildings to grow the demand for enhanced utility programs.
NRDC has an immediate opening for a Senior Project Manager in our New York City or Washington DC office, for the Scaling Up Energy Efficiency in Affordable Housing project. This position will be a two-year post, with options to extend based on the status of project funding. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing and providing strategic direction to the project team and ensuring that the goals and commitments of the effort are achieved in a timely and effective manner. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing and directing three teams at NRDC that are responsible for core project deliverables, coordination with Project Managers at the partner organizations, as well as reporting to the NRDC Project Leadership Team.
- Playing a lead role in setting and managing priorities, budgets and timelines for NRDC’s work product commitments.
- Building a strong and collegial team that is both focused on meeting project expectations and using the full range of expertise at NRDC and among its partners to support effective change.
- Working with the project’s team leads to effectively deploy staff and consultants.
- Collaborating with peers at partner organizations (Energy Foundation, NHT and others) to develop and execute an aggressive and ambitious timeline with measurable outcomes.
- Briefing project leadership on a regular basis and ensuring that strategic decisions are addressed in a timely and collaborative manner.
- Strategically deploying key leaders and experts, from within and outside of NRDC, to participate in meetings, testimony or other public events that are essential to the project’s success.
- Supporting the leadership team’s fundraising efforts and preparing appropriate reports and briefing materials for existing funders.
- Working with project partners and NRDC’s communications team to develop and deploy a communications strategy for this effort.
- Bringing technical and political skills to bear on day-to-day decisions and overarching strategy.
- Participating in NRDC institutional committees, as appropriate
- Master’s: Business, public policy, related field
- 5+ years of experience, including at least 2 years of project management
- Broad knowledge of utility programs for energy efficiency and multi-family housing production and financing; deep knowledge in at least one of these two sectors.
- Advanced degree in public policy, business, law or a related subject.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in engaging multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Federal or State legislative or regulatory advocacy experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise staff while working as a member of a team to build upon the strengths of the program
- Commitment to and knowledge of environmental issues.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.