Waterkeeper Policy/Legal Director- San Diego, CA
Organization: San Diego Coastkeeper
Position Title: Waterkeeper Policy/Legal Director
Location: 2825 Dewey Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA, 92106, US
Hours and Compensation: not given
Application Deadline: not given
San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable, drinkable water throughout San Diego County. The Waterkeeper leads advocacy for clean, healthy water in our community. The Waterkeeper’s primary goal is to positively influence water-related policy in the region, as outlined in the organization’s strategic plan. He or she will engage directly with agencies, governments and industry groups, work with staff and board members, engage community advocates and play a leadership role among local environmental groups on regional water issues.
Protect San Diego County water bodies from pollution, utilizing the Clean Water Act, Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act, California Environmental Quality Act and/or National Environmental Policy Act, as well as local rules/regulations and community engagement. In 2013-15, organizational goals focus on storm water management and wastewater recycling/water supply.
- Regularly testify before and provide well-researched in depth written and oral comments to local, regional and statewide decision-making bodies regarding complex water quality and water supply issues
- Develop and maintain open dialogue and/or partnerships with agencies, businesses and community organizations to positively influence local and regional water planning efforts
- Reach out to and collaborate with traditional and non-traditional partners
- Work closely with the Board’s Legal Committee to keep directors abreast of legal and policy work, develop strategy and gain necessary approval for legal actions
- Work closely with the executive director and program staff to achieve organizational goals
- Recruit and manage Coastkeeper’s policy and/or legal interns
- Engage and oversee outside counsel and subject matter experts retained for litigation or other advocacy purposes
- Develop, write, and execute funding proposals and reports, engaging partner organizations in proposal development; assist with other fundraising activities such as major donor events and appeals for support
- Routinely contribute to organizational communications in writing and in person
- Develop and manage a departmental budget
- Serve as the organization’s primary representative to the Waterkeeper Alliance and California Coastkeeper Alliance (e.g., as a board member of the California Coastkeeper Alliance) and ensure the organization fulfills all programmatic obligations of membership
- 5+ years experience using the Clean Water Act in advocacy and/or other water-specific environmental advocacy
- Firm grasp of stormwater and water-supply issues and science
- Municipal, County and agency policy and planning experience
- Demonstrated ability to form and maintain collaborative relationships to deal with complex, contentious issues
- Highly effective written and oral communicator
- Advanced degree and environmental or policy-related undergraduate degree, or comparable combination of education and experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication and professional demeanor
- Interest in a team-approach at a collaborative, visionary and highly effective organization
- A good sense of humor with a passion for Coastkeeper’s mission
How to Apply
Application Period & Process The position is open until filled; candidate interviews will commence promptly.
Submit the following, ideally as a single PDF
- Cover letter (no longer than one page)
- Note: Writing samples and references will be requested at a later date
All questions and materials should be submitted electronically only via email to email@example.com.
San Diego Coastkeeper is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.