UNU-EHS (German speaker) Internship- Germany
Organization: United Nations University in Bonn
Position Title: UNU-EHS EMSVA Section (German speaker) Internship
Location: UN Campus, Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1, Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen, 53113, Germany
Hours and Compensation: 32 hours/week, unpaid
Application Deadline: November 10, 2013
Duration: The successful candidate will be based at UNU-EHS in Bonn on a full-time basis (32 hours per week) for a contractual period ranging between 3-6 months. The internship is not remunerated.
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
United Nations University’s Mission: The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, addresses the risk and vulnerability aspects of human security and the consequences of complex environmental hazards for sustainable development. The work of UNU‐EHS helps to improve the in‐depth understanding of the cause effect relationships to find ways to reduce risks and vulnerabilities. The Institute supports policymakers and decision makers with evidence‐based research and information.
The Environmental Migration, Social Vulnerability & Adaptation Section – EMSVA- undertakes empirical research on environmentally induced migration and social vulnerability. The section also addresses climate change adaptation including a range of activities such as disaster risk reduction and insurance-related approaches to help vulnerable countries and communities.
- Supporting the EMSVA section on “Where the Rain Falls” project follow-up, including data analysis, the Climate Change and Migration – COST Action IS1101 and other upcoming projects;
- Preparing background documents for proposals writing;
- Searching opportunities for project proposals;
- Developing and updating literature databases;
- Reviewing literature;
- Any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Field of Study: Under graduate/Postgraduate studies in Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Migration Studies or other Social Sciences
Essential Skills and attributes:
- Excellent English and German language abilities; both spoken and written.
- Basic knowledge of the literature on climate change, environmental change and migration.
- Desired Skills:
- Project related work experience;
- Good knowledge of SPSS and preferably additional statistical packages;
- Experience writing proposals
- Knowledge of other UN languages will be considered an asset;
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application, preferably by e-mail, and must include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae in English;
- Cover letter in English: outlining your motivations, possible contributions to the programme and future career goals;
- Completed UNU-EHS application form (downloadable at: http://www.ehs.unu.edu/article/read/about-the-internship-programme-at-unu-ehs under Links & Documents);
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Language certificate (if applicable).
For the information about the application procedure, please visit http://www.ehs.unu.edu/article/read/internship-application-procedure.
Workforce diversity is essential to UNU. Suitably qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds including minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be handled with the strictest confidence.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications will not be acknowledged nor returned.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.