Attorney- Tucson, AZ
Organization: Center for Biological Diversity
Position Title: Attorney
Location: PO Box 710, Tucson, AZ, 85702-0710, US
Hours and Compensation: full time
Application Deadline: not given
The Center for Biological Diversity works through science, law, and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction.
Attorney — Public Lands Program
Tucson, Arizona preferred. Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, California, or other location may be considered.
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time experienced Attorney to help lead the litigation work of our very active national Public Lands program. The Attorney will work on litigation, administrative and policy advocacy, and media outreach designed to protect public lands and wildlife from a range of threats, including — but not limited to — logging, mining, oil and gas extraction, water diversions, off-road vehicles, and grazing. The Attorney will be supervised by the Public Lands Director and work closely with conservation and communications staff.
- Litigation of cases under state and federal laws, including the National Environmental Policy Act, National Forest Management Act, Federal Lands Policy and Management Act and Endangered Species Act.
- Administrative advocacy, such as commenting on proposed projects and rulemakings and the preparation of petitions for rulemaking.
- Analysis of and advocacy regarding pending state and federal legislation.
- Preparation of communications such as press releases, fact sheets and white papers.
- Some travel required.
- Five to eight years civil litigation experience.
- Experience with environmental statutes, including the Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Clean Water Act, National Forest Management Act, and Federal Land Policy and Management Act.
- Excellent research, writing and oral advocacy skills.
An ability to manage a litigation docket and work well independently and with others as part of an effective team.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
How to Apply
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including vacation time, employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match. Preferred location is the Center’s Tucson, Ariz. office. Portland, Ore.; San Francisco, Calif.; or other locations may be considered.
To apply, please send a cover letter, a résumé, references and a writing sample via email (no paper) to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Learn more about the Center’s Public Lands Program.