Greenlining's Leadership Academy Coordinator- Berkeley, CA
Organization: The Greenlining Institute
Position Title: Greenlining’s Leadership Academy Coordinator
Location: 1918 University Avenue, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA, 94704, US
Hours and Compensation: full time, $33,000-$34,000
Application Deadline: Start date: October 28, 2013 (no deadline given, position still open as of October 28, 2013)
The Greenlining Institute works to bring the American Dream within reach of all, regardless of race or the zip code one is born into. In a nation where people of color will make up the majority of our population by 2050, we believe that America will prosper only if communities of color prosper.
Founded in 1993, The Greenlining Institute is a policy, research, organizing, and leadership institute working for racial and economic justice. We work on a variety of major policy issues, from the economy to environmental policy, civic engagement and many others, because we recognize that economic opportunity doesn’t operate in a vacuum. We work to ensure that diverse communities are participating in all major policy debates and discussions, to ensure our communities are “at” rather than just “on” the tables of policymaking.
As part of our mission, we strive to promote leadership in students who want hands on public-policy and advocacy experience through our multi-ethnic leadership training Academy. The Academy provides high school, college and graduate students the opportunity to acquire skills and build vital social networks that will enhance their effectiveness as future social justice leaders. Honing the unique skills and abilities of each participant, the Academy also provides opportunities for networking, exploration on new career fields, and the opening of strategic pipelines to work in the pursuit of justice. Greenlining places the training of Academy participants among the organization’s highest objectives. Academy participants are integrated immediately as part of the Institute staff and participate actively in the development, planning and implementation of the Institute’s projects.
The Greenlining Institute is seeking a full-time Program Coordinator for the Greenlining Academy. The Program Coordinator will work closely with the Academy Director and other Academy staff to insure the successful coordination of Academy Programs and to support the advancement of the mission and vision of the Greenlining Academy.
Under the direction of the Academy Director, the Program Coordinator performs a variety of logistical and supportive duties for all Academy programs and assists with Academy fundraising and outreach.
- Effectively models collective and supportive leadership with participants and staff through coaching, actions and constructive language.
- Assists in facilitating leadership and development discussions with participants to encourage opportunities for growth and reflection.
- Creates an intentional learning environment for individual programs and facilitates learning and mentorship across programs.
- Assists in recruiting a diverse pool of applicants for the five established programs within the Academy: Fellows, Associates, Legal Academy, Casa and Interns. Outreach to a wide variety of California colleges and universities including, state, community and private colleges, as well as universities across the country. Conducts presentations on Academy programs as requested. Answers inquiries from students, corporate partners, foundations and community members.
- Supports the admissions/hiring process for the Fellows, Associates, Legal Academy, Casa and Academy Interns (350—450 applicants annually)
- Assists in the management and cultivation of strategic partnerships with external leadership programs, universities, foundations and other organizations.
- Assists in the development of innovative scaling projects and curriculum evaluations and adaptation.
- Assists in the management and operation of individual Academy programs including supervision and evaluation of Academy participants; provides oversight to Casa residential facility
- Assists in the development and implementation of long-term fundraising plan for the Academy, including proposal writing and research.
- Keeps abreast of current literature and developments in related professional organizations and fields. Attends pertinent conferences and conventions; present information to staff for shared development.
- Participates in related program, organization and community meetings as assigned
- Committed to championing causes that serve low income and diverse communities
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Additional coursework in counseling, leadership development, public policy and/or education administration are a plus
- A positive attitude and strong sense of teamwork
- Motivation to complete tasks and report back during projects
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse audiences
- Ability to prioritize tasks, strong organizational skills, and an ability to work independently
- Detail-oriented approach including strong time and project management skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Flexibility in meeting tight deadlines and able to work unscheduled overtime as needed
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in counseling, secondary education/ leadership development, public policy analysis or management
This job is demanding, and requires common sense, warmth, humor, and the ability to work independently, responsibly and efficiently. Candidates should be able to multi-task in a dynamic environment.
Salary: Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan. Greenlining is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace. We encourage women and people of color to apply.
LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES FOR GREENLINING STAFF
- · Provides leadership and guidance in all aspects of the job description.
- · Grows long-term relationships with coalition members, private sector executives, and government officials.
- · Involves, as appropriate, the management team in order to achieve organizational goals.
- · Champions change and the implementation of new ideas.
- · Enforces standard policies and procedures.
- · Actively participates in staff meetings and retreats.
- · Actively supports the Annual Economic Summit as required.
- · Champions and supports the Greenlining Academy and academy participants.
- · Champions the leadership Academy and actively supports all Academy functions.
- · Commits to mentoring and coaching participants of the Academy.
- · Develops annual budget and work plan as necessary.
- · Develops and meets revenue and other financial goals for program.
- · Champions cost cutting approaches.
- · Manages the development of project managers and senior managers.
- · Assigns tasks to practice management that give others an opportunity to grow.
- · Ensures that team members are well informed, at all times, of changes and news worthy events within the field.
- · Effectively communicates relevant information to supervisor, staff, the board of directors, and the coalition.
- · Handles difficult personnel situations directly, using appropriate discretion, HR advice, and respect for the individual.
- · Promotes Greenlining through speaking engagements at conferences and involvement in other organizations.
- · Reinforces team approach throughout practice both on projects and internal initiatives.
- · Supports and solicits input from team members at all levels within the organization.
- · Lends expertise to internal teams and task forces as necessary.
- · Actively participates in evaluation and performance evaluations.
How to Apply
How to Apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to Claudia Paredes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline: Would like to hire ASAP and position will remain available until filled