Director of Finance and Administration- Washington DC
Organization: American Farm Land Trust
Position Title: Director of Finance and Administration
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: not given
Application Deadline: not given
Founded in 1980, American Farmland Trust’s mission is preserve the nation’s working lands. We do this by assisting in the preservation of farmland, promoting environmentally-sound farming practices, and expanding opportunities for family farmers. For more information, please visit www.farmland.org.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the CEO. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as AFT continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop AFT’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of AFT
How to Apply
Please email materials to kLwanga@farmland.org.
Please let the employer know that you are responding to the environmental job posting in EcoEmploy.com