Climate Policy Internship- Maryland & DC
Organization: Chesapeake Climate Action Network
Position Title: Maryland & DC Climate Policy Internship
Location: Baltimore, MD, and Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: Prefer 20 hours/week for 15 weeks. Minimum of 15 hours/week for 10 weeks. This is an unpaid internship opportunity, though efforts will be made to assist students in receiving academic credit where applicable.
Application Deadline: not given
For over ten years, the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) has been working in Maryland, Virginia, and DC to fight climate change by standing up to polluters and working to pass clean energy policies. Our mission is to build and mobilize a powerful grassroots movement in this unique region that surrounds our nation’s capital to call for state, national, and international policies that will put us on a path to climate stability. We envision a country where clean energy sources, such as solar and wind power, are prioritized and dirty fossil fuels are phased out.
We’re proud of our successes so far. We’ve helped pass one of the strongest statewide carbon caps in the country, as well as some of the strongest laws in the nation to ramp up clean energy and energy efficiency. Bill McKibben, world-renowned climate activist and head of 350.org, has called CCAN “the best regional climate organization in the world.”
The MD and DC Climate Policy Intern will work to build support for legislation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect our communities. CCAN is currently building a statewide movement to take on the gas industry and establish strong protections from the dangerous impacts of fracking. We are also launching a campaign this fall to double the supply of clean energy for Marylanders. The Policy Intern will play a key role in ensuring the success of our priorities this fall.
- Carry out web-based research on issue areas, in addition to other forms of research deemed necessary
- Write and publish blog posts and letters to the editor in support of the campaign
- Help with the preparation and necessary research to inform production of CCAN campaign materials
- Assist with outreach, logistical preparation and execution of CCAN events
- Driving passion to combat climate change and secure clean energy victories
- An eagerness to better understand energy and environmental policy and politics, and to learn strong advocacy and organizing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team to meet goals under a deadline
- A sense of humor, and a friendly positive attitude
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page relevant writing sample (in MS Word or PDF format) with “Maryland & DC Climate Policy Internship” in the subject line to Tommy Landers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.