Executive/Research Assistant- San Francisco, CA
Organization: Earth Innovation Institute
Position Title: Executive/Research Assistant
Location: 3180 18th Street, Suite 205, San Francisco, CA, 94110, US
Hours and Compensation: Full-time exempt position. Compensation based on qualifications and experience with competitive benefit package.
Application Deadline: November 22, 2013
Start Date: December 2, 2013
Earth Innovation Institute catalyzes innovative, large-scale transitions to low-emissions rural development in tropical regions by promoting policies, market transformation, and sustainable farming, forestry, and fisheries systems that improve rural livelihoods and enhance the capacity of the planet to support life. Through targeted, regional interventions, we seek globally significant increases in farm production, forest cover, fisheries yields, and rural household wellbeing while decreasing emissions of heat-trapping gas.
Born in the Brazilian Amazon with a staff that has been working in unruly forest frontiers while designing and testing sustainable farming, forestry and fisheries management systems for decades, Earth Innovation Institute drives the transition to low-emission rural development[ii] through cutting-edge research that identifies potential synergies among policies, market trends, and rural sectors, by designing regional transition strategies that are supported by businesses, governments at multiple levels, communities and civil society, by creating novel alliances among institutions, and by building local institutional capacity. We are now working with local partners to design and/or implement transitional strategies for low-emission rural development in Brazil (Mato Grosso, Pará, Acre, São Paulo States, national), Indonesia (Central Kalimantan, West Papua), Colombia (national), Mexico (Chiapas State), Peru (the Pachitea Watershed), Kenya (the central montane region), Paraguay, and Ghana.
The Executive/Research assistant will report directly to the executive director and support research, writing, editing of reports and manuscripts, and provide executive management and administrative support. The successful candidate will serve a key role in the organization, liaising with internal staff and external partners, supporting management in diverse areas including program initiatives, communications, fundraising and administration.
- Assist with research analysis; coordinate the preparation, writing, editing and publication of research results/reports and manuscripts;
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and funder reporting;
- Draft correspondence and contribute to maintaining appropriate communications with key stakeholders and partners;
- Manage the executive director’s calendar, including coordinating with staff, consultants and external partners;
- Schedule meetings, prepare advance materials, maintain files and take meetings minutes;
- Manage international travel arrangement, meeting arrangements and assist with logistics for events;
- Other duties as needed
- Requires minimum five years experience providing scientific research and editing support, preferably in non-profit or international environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills including ability to communicate complex concepts and information to a range of different audiences;
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for science;
- Demonstrated capability dealing with confidential matters and using sound judgment;
- Highly organized, flexible; detail-oriented; able to balance multiple tasks, meet deadlines and anticipate needs; professional demeanor.
- Must demonstrate high degree of initiative and ability to perform under times of pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from a variety of disciplines, cultures, and backgrounds and experience living or working in a developing country desired;
- Experience in grant-writing and fundraising support desired;
- Working knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish, and/or Bahasa Indonesia desired;
- Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project and Work, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop desired.
- Requires ability to travel and flexible work schedule.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter referencing Job# 03307FHDCN13, resume, two writing samples, and contact information for 3 references firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Job# 03307FHDCN13in the subject line of the email.