Communications Coordinator- Redding, CT
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Redding, CT (Belmont, MA)
Application Deadline: December 16
Hours and Compensation:
This is a full-time position based in Redding, CT with occasional evening and weekend work and regional travel for W&W events. The position may alternatively be based at Highstead’s Belmont, MA office where the Conservation Director is located, with regular weekly presence (1-2 days/week) in Redding. The Communications Coordinator works in close partnership with and under the supervision of the Conservation Director. Highstead is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Highstead, a small non-profit organization dedicated to conserving the New England landscape, seeks a communications professional with environmental nonprofit experience. The position involves a leading responsibility for developing and implementing the outreach and communications strategies for the rapidly growing New England-wide Wildlands and Woodlands (W&W) Initiative, which seeks to protect at least 70% of the New England landscape in forests, farms, and livable communities.
Highstead has a staff of seven conservation professionals who work out of a beautiful 100-acre conserved landscape in southwestern Connecticut. Founded in 1982 as a natural area and arboretum, Highstead has developed into a regional conservation organization that advances W&W with Harvard University’s Harvard Forest in collaboration with many New England groups. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Highstead Conservation Director, who coordinates the W&W Initiative, and works closely with the Harvard Forest Outreach Manager and W&W Communications team. The goal of Highstead and its W&W partners is to advance Wildlands and Woodlands as an effective, enduring, and widely embraced conservation initiative. Highstead and its partners have many regional W&W projects that require writing, editing, design, media, and outreach assistance as they continue to grow.
The ideal candidate will have a background in conservation and communications. S/he will be comfortable working with a small, close-knit, and highly collaborative staff, where duties such as developing regional communications strategies, major report roll-outs, and writing on many subjects must be shared and balanced along with daily tasks of editing, proofreading, web updates, Twitter, and more. The candidate should be devoted to working as an integral member of the Highstead staff and diverse W&W leadership team to create effective print, digital, and social communication strategies that advance conservation in New England.
• Shape and implement communications strategies for Highstead, including website, two annual newsletters, and publicity for two to four membership events each year.
• Develop and implement outreach and communication strategies to advance the W&W Initiative, with a focus on traditional media, website, and e-news, augmented by social media.
• Provide daily communications expertise through writing, editing, proofreading, and media outreach assistance to Highstead staff W&W projects.
• Play a lead role in writing, editing, and overseeing the production and dissemination of W&W publications, including annual updates, e-newsletters, and special reports.
• Develop and implement media rollouts related to W&W publications and initiatives for broad target audiences from conservation groups and agencies to landowners.
• Manage communications for special events, workshops, meetings, and conferences.
• BA or Masters in a communications-related or environmental field.
• Experience in communications, preferably in a nonprofit environmental organization.
• Familiarity with the New England landscape and a commitment to its conservation.
• Superb writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
• Ability to translate scientific information into persuasive text for conservation outreach.
• Attention to detail, quality, and reliability.
• Ability to organize time, manage varied activities, and balance multiple deadlines.
• Proven productivity in generating communications strategies and specific products.
• Collaborative personality accepting of engaged feedback balanced with independence.
• Ability to assimilate and advance the mission and goals of Highstead.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
• Willingness to reach out, engage, and travel regionally in support of W&W.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an active collaborative setting.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Experience with advocacy-based social media campaigns.
• Event organization and promotion experience.
• Demonstrated strategic and creative success in organizational branding and positioning.
• Strong experience with website development and content management systems.
• Proficiency in desktop publishing software such as Photoshop and InDesign.
• Proficiency in photography, videography, and new media tools.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume, and reference Communications Coordinator Application as the email subject. Please send a writing sample and provide names and contact information for three references as part of your application. The application deadline is: Monday, December 16.