Publications Editor – New York, NY
Organization: Natural Resources Defense Council
Position Title: Publications Editor
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: unknown
NRDC uses law, science, and the support of more than one million members and online activists nationwide to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places, and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. In addition to our New York headquarters, we have offices in Washington, San Francisco, and Santa Monica.
We work to restore the integrity of the elements that sustain life–air, land and water–and to defend endangered natural places. NRDC affirms the integral place of human beings in the environment. We strive to protect nature in ways that advance the long-term welfare of present and future generations.
We work to foster the fundamental right of all people to have a voice in decisions that affect their environment. We seek to break down the pattern of disproportionate environmental burdens borne by people of color and others who face social or economic inequities. Ultimately, NRDC strives to help create a new way of life for humankind, one that can be sustained indefinitely without fouling or depleting the resources that support all life on Earth.
NRDC seeks a Publications Editor to work as a part of its dynamic Communications Department. The position is responsible for working with staff authors to produce policy briefs, research reports, issue papers, and educational materials. Responsibilities include heavy project management, substantive editing, and quality control, production/design oversight, freelancer and vendor supervision, and managing a busy project calendar. The Publications Editor reports to the Policy Publications Director.
As the Publications Editor, you will assist in the development of NRDC’s policy communications portfolio, covering issues ranging from climate change to protecting our oceans. You’ll work with staff authors to produce research and policy reports, white papers, and other policy-related materials in print and online. This position requires a keen editor, a strong project manager, an energetic team player, and someone who can deftly juggle many needs and priorities. Specific responsibilities include:
- Shaping content of NRDC policy publications with authority, including providing various levels of editing from “heavy lifting” of early drafts to professional-level copy editing. Other editorial responsibilities include writing narrative when necessary, advising on structure, enhancing visual display of data, checking facts, and ensuring message and findings of reports are clear, compelling, and appealing to the press and public.
- Managing production of online presentation of policy materials, including drafting online copy and overseeing production specialists and web designers.
- Coordinating with NRDC’s Science Center to ensure that all public releases are accurate, error-free, and peer reviewed.
- Working with other writers on the content team to ensure that there is consistent top-line messaging across our major programmatic communications.
- Working with the Policy Publications Director to manage the editorial calendar and workflow of a busy editorial department.
- Working with staff across all of NRDC and acting as the Communications Department liaison to key programmatic work areas.
- Managing (and growing) a network of freelance editors, writers, and designers.
- Maintaining and evolving strong style guidelines for policy publications.
At least five years’ experience writing/editing research reports is required, particularly experience with policy, science, and/or environmental issues, or equivalent professional or academic background. Strong organizational skills and project management capacities are essential. Both print and online content experience is highly desirable, or the interest and ability to learn these skills. Candidates must have a proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize effectively, and meet strict deadlines simultaneously. Candidates should also be proactive, resourceful, and not only work independently but also be a good team player. Tight production deadlines may occasionally require working evening and/or weekend hours.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website at www.nrdc.org/jobs, create a profile and upload your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org