Vice President, Climate & Energy Programs- Boston
Position Title: Vice President, Climate & Energy Programs
Hours and Compensation: not listed
Application Deadline: not listed
Ceres is seeking a Vice President of Climate & Energy Programs to lead strategy, initiatives, and sector-based programming in a fast-paced, not-for-profit, organization with a $9+ million budget. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to build on Ceres’ solid achievements in promoting a market-oriented change agenda, in engaging businesses and investors, and in mobilizing them to take action in ways that further the public and environmental good.
The Vice President of Climate & Energy Programs will report to and work closely with Ceres’ Executive Director, with frequent collaboration with Ceres’ President and Board. The position will sit on the Ceres Leadership Team. S/he will provide strategic guidance, high-level relationship management, and fundraising leadership for Director level staff focusing on policy, communications, and sector-based strategies to tackle climate change and promote clean energy solutions. The Vice President will supervise a team of Directors who provide day-to-day line management for their work.
This role has strong external relations, program management, and fundraising components. The Vice President of Climate & Energy Programs will serve as a high-level ambassador to Ceres’ stakeholders, funders, and donors representing the organization in public and high-level private forums on the impact of our work. S/he will also work with program staff to develop strategies and programs that advance Ceres’ mission. In addition to reporting to the Executive Director, the Vice President will also have dotted-line reporting into the Chief Development Officer for the development portion of the portfolio, helping build strategic relationships to enhance fundraising, helping establish and drive overall philanthropic fundraising targets, and overseeing management of program budgets.
Oversee the annual planning, development and execution of an overall strategy and budget for Ceres’ program activities in climate change and clean energy
- Supervise Director-level staff in Climate and Clean Energy Programs
- Oversee the implementation and evaluation of results-driven, cross-programmatically integrated, annual work plans
- Provide high-level external relationship management on behalf of Ceres and in support of Directors who are managing a slate of program-specific or issue-specific projects and work streams.
- Serve on the Leadership Team of the organization, providing expert input and guidance into major decisions affecting the strategy and resource deployment of the organization.
- Work in partnership with the leadership of Ceres’ Corporate and Investor Programs, to understand priorities, and to work on an agenda that balances competing demands on business and investor members.
- Coordinate with Ceres’ member business and investor engagement agenda in ways that mutually and strategically strengthen the organization’s overall impact on climate and clean energy across all programs.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Director of Events to support organizational and programmatic goals of issue visibility and thought leadership.
- Work in partnership with the Development team and the Finance team to develop and deliver fundraising targets and strategies around which annual and multi-year budgets and strategic planning will be built.
- Support Development team-led major donor solicitation activities and the cultivation of the Ceres President’s Council.
- Graduate degree, in relevant area, required. Bachelor’s degree required.
- 15 years of relevant experience in a nonprofit focused on environmental issues; climate or clean energy are a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience as a senior leader in a fast-paced, nonprofit organization
- Proven track record of results-driven strategic program management is required.
- Experienced with cultivating strong relationships with direct reports and managing senior level staff and teams
- Demonstrated success in both halves of the resource equation—cultivating and closing income prospects, and managing and deploying staff and budgets
- Entrepreneurial attitude; able to both build strong, stable programs and to innovate and take advantage of strategic opportunities
- Broad understanding of how to build effective collaborations across other program areas, departments, and different levels of staff across the organization
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written
How to Apply
We urge all applicants to review the Ceres website to familiarize themselves with Ceres programs and operations before applying (www.ceres.org).
To apply, email a resume and cover letter directly to email@example.com summarizing your interest in Ceres, how you would fit into the role, and how you learned of this opportunity. Be sure to put “Ceres VP Climate and Energy” in subject line of email. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.