Land Conservation Fellow- Washington DC
Organization: League of Conservation Voters
Position Title: Land Conservation Fellow
Location: 1920 L Street, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC, 20036, US
Hours and Compensation: full time
Application Deadline: January 10, 2014
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) is a national non-profit organization that works to turn environmental values into national priorities. To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV’s mission is to advocate for sound environmental policies, to elect pro-environmental candidates who will adopt and implement such policies, and to provide the state LCVs with the resources and tools to accomplish and sustain their mission.
LCV is hiring a Land Conservation Fellow to use public education, advocacy and coalition efforts to disseminate the message that designating places of significant ecological, historical, and cultural value as National Monuments is good for our economy and our environment. The Land Conservation Fellow will also work to disseminate the value of protecting lands as Wilderness, National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, and other protected land units. The Land Conservation Fellow will have an end goal of persuading the Obama administration to designate several new National Monuments as well as preventing Congress from restricting the president’s authority to designate National Monuments. This individual will also work to secure policies that protect new areas for the benefit of current and future generations of Americans. The Land Conservation Fellow will work closely with our network of state leagues and other strategic partners.
Work with our Deputy Legislative Director, SVP for Government Affairs, and President to advance a conservation agenda with the Obama administration and Congress.
- Research, track and analyze the flow of land conservation legislation and administrative policies.
- Educate and engage supporters nationwide via traditional media, such as op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, and blogs, as well as new media through the use of dynamic infographics and innovative messaging on Facebook, Twitter, and email.
- Work with our network of state leagues to educate the public and key decision makers in those states regarding the importance of protecting public lands.
- Participate in an annual week-long training program sponsored by the position’s sponsor, the Wyss Foundation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work experience: Ideal candidates will have a college degree and at least 2-3 years of experience in environmental advocacy and legislative affairs.
- Skills: Experience should include policy, research, coalition-building, public presentations, and writing for policymakers as well as the general public. Ideally, the candidate will also have experience with traditional and new media such as Facebook and Twitter.
How to Apply
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Land Conservation Fellow” in the subject line, or mail to League of Conservation Voters, Attn: Human Resources, 1920 L Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036 no later than January 10th. Visit our website, www.lcv.org. Please note that this position is funded for two years from the start date. No Phone calls Please