Energy Education Associate- San Diego, CA
Organization: Strategic Energy Innovations
Position Title: Energy Education Associate
Location: San Diego, CA
Hours and Compensation: This part-time, temporary position offers $13 per hour for a 10-month period aligned with the school calendar. Hours per week will vary, averaging 10-15 hours per week.
Application Deadline: January 31st (Start Date: January 31st)
We are a Bay Area-based non-profit organization with a 15-year history dedicated to actions that sustain our planet. SEI creates green communities by designing sustainability programs around four key sectors that make up the foundation of all communities: education, housing, government, and jobs. Due to our understanding of the many facets of sustainability, we are able to see the big picture and pinpoint opportunities to help communities reach their goals, reduce their consumption of natural resources, and enjoy quantifiable savings. Our staff works within teams to support each other on projects and to creatively develop new and effective models. For more information, visit our website at www.seiinc.org.
About Energize Schools San Diego
Energize Schools is a partnership between Strategic Energy Innovations (SEI) and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) to provide high schools students and teachers with support to reduce energy bills and impact on the environment while empowering student learning and leadership. Energize Schools provides holistic services to help high school communities green their facilities, conserve resources, and engage students in service-learning and environmental leadership.
Energize Schools provides local schools with no-cost support in three key areas:
- Energy Education (including high school curricula for projects such as school energy auditing and solar analysis, instructional support, and teacher training)
- Energy Conservation (through Green School Leadership Teams, conservation campaign support, and events)
- Retrofit Support (aligned with new Proposition 39 funding for energy efficiency upgrades)
For more information, visit the Energize Schools San Diego website at www.energizeschools-sd.org
Strategic Energy Innovations (SEI) is seeking a dedicated individual who is passionate about working in sustainability education, to work as a part-time paid Energy Education Associate for a cutting edge organization focused on designing innovative solutions to address community climate, energy, and resource efficiency goals. SEI’s Energy Education Associate will have the opportunity to work directly on our Energize Schools San Diego program. This is a part-time, 10-month (January-June, August-December) paid position, based out of San Diego, CA. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with an intended start date of January 21, 2014 (exact dates will be negotiated). This position offers exceptional teaching opportunities, professional development, and experience in environmental science, climate science, energy, and sustainability education.
Energy Education Associates will work on Energize Schools in high schools in the San Diego Gas & Electric territory, with exposure to all aspects of program design and implementation:
- Support direct in-class instruction of SEI’s Sustainability Curriculum
- Work with SEI staff and expert partners to support student/staff teams as they lead school resource efficiency audits including lighting, plug loads, the building envelope, mechanical systems, water, and waste.
- Assist in leading energy education ‘train the trainer’ sessions with school instructors and staff champions, including workshops on school energy auditing, school solar analysis, and business sustainability assessments.
- Support the Energize Schools San Diego Energy Competition (April 20-May 9, 2014), Energy Education Conference (May 16th, 2014), and SDG&E Energy Innovation Center tours every second Friday of the month.
Assist, and eventually lead, instruction on energy systems, climate science, and auditing techniques. Support students in drafting energy audit and solar analysis recommendation reports. Research and consult on audit-related technical equipment information, rebates/ incentives, financial, technical assistance, and policy connections. Support students to design and present retrofit and behavior-based recommendations to school administrators and property decision makers, tied to relevant rebates, incentives and assistance programs. Address relevant post-audit remote and onsite follow-up including working with students, school, and district staff to support greater understanding and adoption of recommended retrofits.
- Support the development of Green School Leadership Teams (comprised of instructors, students and staff) and their conservation initiatives.
- Guide student leadership and project management skills development.
- Assist teams to set goals, develop action plans with clear strategies and tactics to achieve this goal, implement conservation campaigns, and measure and verify results.
- Support energy education events, such as the planning and delivery of Sustainability Fairs.
The qualified candidate is highly skilled working across the Microsoft suite of office automation software (e.g.: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) Candidates will also evidence strong quantitative, written, and verbal communication skills, in addition to the following:
- Interest or experience working in the schools (K-12) sector and on student curriculum and instruction;
- Experience working on technical projects;
- Strong analytic skills, including experience with Excel (building spreadsheets, formulas and data manipulation,) and a math or science background;
- Familiarity, experience and/or coursework in energy, environmental science, and building science;
- Experience with energy auditing, solar analysis, and building energy benchmarking;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills including technical case studies and reports;
- Bachelor’s degree, or current studies (advanced coursework a plus) in education;
- Demonstrated experience with efficient web research and information synthesis;
- Ability to work part-time over the course of 2014 in San Diego.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to us at EnergizeSchools@seiinc.org. Refer to ‘Energy Education Associate’ in your email subject line. Be sure to indicate in your cover letter your availability to start and the support area(s) (listed above) for which you are most interested/ qualified.
No phone calls please. Strategic Energy Innovations is an equal opportunity employer.