Chief Operating Officer, Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance- New York City
Organization: Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance
Position Title: Chief Operating Officer
Location: 241 Water Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY, 10038, US
Hours and Compensation: not listed
Application Deadline: not listed (start date Feb 3rd)
The MWA works to transform the New York and New Jersey Harbor and waterways to make them cleaner and more accessible, a vibrant place to play, learn and work with great parks, great jobs and great transportation for all.
This is a moment of vital importance for our waterfront. Superstorm Sandy reminded all in the region that we are a coastal city and we must learn to respect and live with the water that surrounds us. Critical land use, regulatory, and environmental decisions made now will determine how the New York metropolitan area looks and functions and how future generations are able to access the water and enjoy this great resource that is at our doorsteps.
MWA uniquely brings together different interests around a variety of waterfront issues. We are an alliance of over 740 civic groups and businesses dedicated to creating a great and shared waterfront by overcoming challenges, advocating for a better waterfront, building waterfront infrastructure, providing informational and technical resources to the public and larger waterfront community, encouraging neighborhood participation, and influencing policy decisions that will affect every person in the New York metropolitan region.
Reporting to MWA’s President, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for overseeing and managing the internal affairs of the organization, developing new programs, overseeing and managing existing programs, conducting policy analysis, and strongly supporting fundraising for the organization. Fundamentally, the COO manages day-to-day operations of the organization, grows MWA programs, ensures the quality of all MWA work, and ensures the staff and organization attain their goals. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and have experience managing many facets of an organization during a period of significant growth.
The COO assists the President in addressing a range of strategic issues including enhancing organizational effectiveness and integrity, providing staff leadership, and building the MWA Alliance, along with overall strategic planning for the organization as a whole and for individual programs and initiatives.
The COO provides strong and effective leadership by defining operational expectations, monitoring progress in achieving those expectations, providing a work environment supportive of organizational accomplishments and individual growth, and evaluating the annual performance of all employees.
The COO provides the President with strategic insight in critical areas of operations, including policy direction, integrated communications and outreach, and operational initiatives facing the organization.
With the President, the COO prepares and monitors annual budgets.
The COO maintains a high level of technical and operational accuracy and quality throughout all of MWA’s work including fiscal, operational, policy, and fundraising tasks.(more detail listed in job posting)
- A minimum of ten years of progressive management experience in nonprofit, private, or public sectors.
- Outstanding writing skills with an ability to write effectively and persuasively in the areas of policy, project management, program execution, fundraising, communications, and strategic planning.
- Policy expertise in environment and sustainability (preferred), urban planning, urban policy, economics, civic engagement, transportation, and community organizing.
- Nonprofit leadership and experience in growing and leading projects and programs for and within nonprofits.
- Excellent research and writing skills; ability to quickly grasp technical understanding of transportation, waterfront, and economic issues; excellent organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion; excellent oral communication skills and public speaking; strong computer skills.
- Sense of humor and ability to work in fast-paced environment, and sensitivity in working with confidential materials.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 page writing sample to email@example.com