District Administrator/Program Coordinator- MA
Organization: Berkshire Conservation District
Position Title: District Administrator/Program Coordinator
Location: Pittsfield, MA
Hours and Compensation: not listed
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Berkshire Conservation District is seeking a new administrator to oversee all district activities including planning and coordinating meetings, workshops, and events and carry out day-to-day office tasks. The administrator must be an independent worker with excellent writing and communication skills and the capability to work collaboratively with community partners to further the district’s conservation mission. A passion for the environment is a must. Programs can be tailored to the skills set that the incumbent brings to the table. Experience in grant seeking, organizational development, event planning and/or project coordination is preferred. Background in an environmental field such as natural resources management, ecology, biology, or environmental studies is preferred but not required. This position will start with a 4-6 week training period paid by a stipend beginning in March before the incumbent is officially hired. This is a part-time position without benefits. The administrator is expected to work 12-15 hours per week with a flexible schedule located in our Pittsfield office. Hours may fluctuate depending upon workload. Incumbent must be able to pass a background check to obtain access to the US Dept of Agriculture computer network.
- Serve as the acting secretary of the board of supervisors. Prepare for monthly board meetings including preparing agenda, treasurer’s report, minutes, and any other meeting materials.
- Manage the district’s finances, track income and expenses, balance the checkbook, create budgets.
- Manage phone calls and emails and respond to correspondence in a timely and knowledgeable manner.
- Foster partnerships with other organizations and agencies and seek opportunities to collaborate on environmentally related projects.
- Develop programs to help the district achieve its mission and seek funding through grants or create fundraisers for those programs. Programs can be tailored to the incumbant’s skills and interests.
- Conduct outreach to the media and related organizations in order to advertize the district’s activities and fundraisers.
- Plan and coordinate district fundraisers including the spring plant sale and the fall bulb sale.
- Plan and coordinate the annual meeting in addition to monthly meetings.
- Write newsletters and the annual report and prepare annual financial reports.
- Attend quarterly meetings around the state of partner organizations such as the Massachusetts Association of Conservation Districts and the State Commission on Soil, Water, and Related Resources when able.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel. Experience with Publisher, Outlook, and Access strongly preferred.
- Good computer skills and ability to work efficiently, including esponding to email correspondence, working with various online and desktop programs, and updating social networking sites such as the Facebook page and the district blog. Knowledge of website design is not required as the district hires someone to maintain the homepage.
- Basic financial skills including ability to keep a checkbook balanced, track income and expenses and create reports. Experience with Quicken or QuickBooks preferred.
- Ability to brainstorm and creatively plan programming for the district, write project proposals and reports, sometimes with tight deadlines. Experience in grant seeking and application writing required.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently with very little oversight. Ability to stay on task and work efficiently.
- Personal confidence and social skills required to foster partnerships with community leaders and work collaboratively.
- Excellent writing skills in order to create reports, prepare agendas for meetings, post newsletters, and effectively communicate the accomplishments of the district in writing.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Administrator Position” in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Please indicate in your cover letter that you are responding to the posting on Conservation Job Board