U.S. Director of Communications-Reston, VA
Organization: Health Care Without Harm
Position Title: U.S Director of Communication
Hours & Compensation: Full time. HCWH offers a very generous benefits package.
Application Deadline: Not listed
Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) is a non-profit organization that works to transform the health sector worldwide, without compromising patient safety or care, so that it becomes ecologically sustainable and a leading advocate for environmental health and justice. HCWH has offices in the US, Europe, Latin America and Asia, and works with health professionals, hospitals, health systems, ministries of health and international organizations. (www.noharm.org)
HCWH is looking for a dynamic professional to lead and execute all facets of the strategic communications for HCWH US, while coordinating efforts with HCWH’s international offices and its affiliated membership organization, Practice Greenhealth. The Director of Communications will lead the communications component of fast-paced advocacy campaigns, longer-term projects, as well as the day-to-day communications necessities of a growing non-profit. The position requires someone that has experience in creating highly effective messaging and campaign planning and the demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Lead the effort in creating and implementing a strategic communications plan.
- Plan and direct marketing, public relations, and promotional campaigns and strategies.
- Develop media relations policy and media kit.
- Direct the production of printed publications.
- Write materials for, and direct the layout of, informational materials such as newsletters, pamphlets, white papers, and posters.
- Lead messaging and branding effort for all outward-facing initiatives.
- Participate in the development of marketing and fundraising campaigns in coordination with the development team.
- Initiate, develop, and maintain local, national, and international media and public contacts for disseminating information.
- Research and write news releases.
- Arrange interviews for and regularly brief organizational officials on emerging issues and opportunities.
- Act as an organizational spokesperson, representing HCWH in media interviews, organizational meetings, and at local, state, and national functions.
- Coordinate ceremonies, press conferences, and other events.
- Oversee organizational use of contracted marketing and public relations vendors.
- Develop and manage communications budget.
- Develop and direct all aspects of HCWH’s social media outreach.
- Collaborate with other HCWH and PGH staff, partners and international offices to achieve goals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- At least five years experience in persuasive communications, preferably in non-profit advocacy or political campaigns.
- Skilled organizer who can inspire others to contribute smartly to meeting our communications needs.
- Experience working on environmental health, public health, healthcare and/or sustainability issues a big plus. Must be able to successfully communicate the mission and vision of HCWH.
- Experienced with developing web content and managing social media campaigns.
- Proven success in media relations, including framing and pitching media stories.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be an exceptional writer – high quality, prolific, meets deadlines.
- Able to advocate effectively on the phone, in person and online.
- Demonstrated messaging and editing skills.
- Excellent attention to details and follow through needed.
- A strong graphic design sensibility a plus.
- Strong organizing and people skills.
- Must possess tact, diplomacy, a positive attitude and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively while organizing time efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully within a team.
Health Care Without Harm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter and resume to Veronique Nagle, HR Manager, Health Care Without Harm,firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please indicate this description: “Last Name, First Name- Comm Dir Idealist”. Only competitive candidates will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process. No Phone Calls Please. Position Open Until Filled.