Community Organizing for the Democracy Amendment Campaign-Boston, MA.
Organization: Greater Boston Move to Amend
Position Title: Community Organizing for the Democracy Amendment Campaign
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: 5 hours/ week, unpaid
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Learn community and statewide campaign organizing from experienced organizers as you help build the movement to reclaim democracy “for the people.”
Multinational corporations and the super rich have come to dominate all of our democratic institutions, including buying our elections, winning constitutional rights for artificial corporations, and controlling policy through massive lobbying tied to campaign contributions. Move to Amend is a national coalition committed to social and economic justice, ending corporate rule, and building a vibrant democracy that is genuinely accountable to people, not corporate interests. We call for an amendment to the US Constitution to unequivocally state that inalienable right belong t human beings only, and that money is not a form of protected free speech under the First amendment and can be regulated in political campaigns. This is a necessary first step toward creating a true democracy.
Greater Boston Move to Amend is a volunteer group affiliated with the national coalition Move to Amend. We have professional organizers from union, parent and environmental organizations that are working now as volunteers and are eager to train and mentor new activists on a full range of organizing skills. The intern positions are unpaid but great resume builders and very inspiring. You will learn in depth about political movement building in the US, from the community to the federal level. And you will meet interesting and dedicated people and learn a lot about power and democracy in the US.
Internship opportunities are varied and can be tailored to the individual:
- Help organize community and constituency forums and workshops
- Recruit new volunteers and build our membership list
- Help build a coalition of organizations to launch a new statewide campaign
- Learn the Massachusetts legislative process and coordinate citizen lobbying
- Develop GBMTA’s web resources and social media
- Create candidate questionnaires and public forums
- Create a local ballot question campaign
- Public speaking after training and if desired
- Commitment to and belief in the mission of Move to Amend is primary
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Willing to take direction and be flexible
- Ability to work independently after training and with support
- Ability to meet with mentors in Roslindale and Acton, Mass and get around the Boston area
- Ability to communicate with GBMTA frequently through email
Hours: We accept interns able to commit 4 hours a week minimum for 8 weeks, and maximum 20 hours per week.
We do not have an office, thus you can work at home or where you choose. You will meet with Internship mentors in Roslindale (Boston neighborhood) and Acton, Mass and attend meetings in Cambridge, but work with communities throughout Greater Boston.
Please email a resume with contact information and cover letter stating why you are interested in this position to Lee Ketelsen at email@example.com, with subject line Organizing Internship Application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.