Sea Turtle Restoration Project Internship-CA
Position Title: Internship
Location: Forest Knolls, CA
Hours & Compensation: Stipends or payment cannot be supported at this time, but assistance with low cost local housing and transportation is available.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The Sea Turtle Restoration Project can support several interns to help in our headquarters office north of San Francisco. Stipends or payment cannot be supported at this time, but assistance with low cost local housing and transportation is available.
We also offer Residential Internships with free housing. Feedback from past interns is compiled on our Intern Testimonials page.
The work is quite varied and would allow the individual to become familiar with the inner workings of an international environmental organization. Interns are required to spend 75 percent of their time on special campaign projects of focused interest to the individual and the program. The other 25 percent of their time is spent assisting with day-to-day operations.
Responsibilities could include assisting with and leading projects for:
• Research, writing and editing reports, fact sheets, newsletters, etc.
• Designing brochures, web content, and interactive maps
• Assisting in organizing photo and video files
• Administrative office work and data base entry
• Outreach to social networks with campaign goals and membership growth
• Outreach coordination and presentations to schools, summer events, etc.
• Correspondence with members, environmental organizations, and media
• Commitment to protection of the environment
• Willingness to work on a variety of tasks
• Good communication skills (oral and written)
• Commitment of at least 10 hours per week in the office, 20 hours total per week
• Willingness to become familiar with sea turtle biology, ecology and conservation
General Internship Positions and Responsibilities
Pacific Campaign Intern: works to meet goals of current sea turtle conservation campaigns focused on sea turtles, fisheries, and marine protected areas in the Pacific Ocean. California leatherbacks, west coast and Hawaiian fisheries, and plastic pollution threats are primary focus. Manages Leatherback Watch Program June-November.
Gulf of Mexico Campaign Intern: works to meet goals of current sea turtle conservation campaigns focused on sea turtles, fisheries, and marine protected areas in the Gulf of Mexico. Kemp’s ridleys, Gulf longlines, shrimp trawl fishery, and TEDs expansion and enforcement are primary focus.
Cocos Island Campaign Intern: works to meet goals of current sea turtle conservation campaigns focused on sea turtles, fisheries, and marine protected areas in the Cocos Islands National Park and eastern tropical Pacific. Cocos tagging, trip logistics, and Swimway Campaign are the primary focuses of this position.
Sustainable Fisheries Intern: works to meet goals of current work on California Sustainable Seafood Initiative and MSC sustainable certifications.
STRP Outreach & Events Intern: works to organize and implement STRP led public events and engage STRP presence at partner events. Responsibilities include managing volunteer database, event planning and promotion, and assisting with membership data generated from events.
Video Production Intern: leads projects to edit wildlife and event video footage into short YouTube broadcasts, public service announcements for community television, and possibly a documentary movie. Must possess video editing skills and be able to work remotely and in the west Marin office.
Online Communications Intern: assists with website updates, builds and maintains social media websites, composes and coordinates written and email communications between conservation projects and members. Must possess basic website editing skills, excellent writing skills, and be able to work remotely and in the west Marin office.
Development and Fundraising Intern: assists the Development Director with research and writing of grant proposals, communications with funding partners, and written reports describing program progress and achievements.
ABOUT US: The Sea Turtle Restoration Project (STRP), founded in 1989, works to protect endangered sea turtles in ways that make cultural and economic sense to the communities that share the beaches and waters with these gentle creatures. STRP achieves its mission through a strategic combination of public education, hands-on conservation, grassroots action, creative and proactive use of the media, community training and leadership development, legal leverage, coalition-building, and market-based solutions. With offices in California, Texas and Central America, the scope of our work ranges from specific coastal communities to national consumer education to the international trade arena. STRP’s current programs cover a wide range of topics and geographic areas, with an emphasis on fisheries.
More information here: