Associate Director of Communications-Denver, CO.
Organization: American Rivers.
Position Title: Associate Director of Communications
Location: Denver, CO.
Hours & Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: Not listed.
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 200,000 members, supporters, and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visitwww.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers has an opening for an Associate Director of Communications. This position is responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies for American Rivers’ priorities, primarily in the Colorado River Basin and Intermountain West. The staff person will work closely with conservation, government relations, and communications staff to develop and manage integrated communications campaigns, spearheading media outreach, developing messaging, writing and editing content for print and online, and completing other writing and communications tasks.
- Work with key conservation, government relations, and communications staff to develop communications plans for river conservation efforts in the Colorado River Basin and Intermountain West.
- Spearhead implementation of communications plans, which may include message development, print/TV/radio media outreach, multimedia and web content development, electronic advocacy outreach, and social media outreach.
- Write and edit compelling content for a variety of channels, including American Rivers’ print newsletter, web site and blog, press releases, pitch memos to reporters/editorial boards, speeches and presentations, and other writing tasks such as reports to funders.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge and stay current on American Rivers’ conservation/policy work and stay up to date on river news in the region.
- Cultivate relationships with the reporters/bloggers covering river issues. Pitch story ideas and provide useful, timely information that helps secure stories on American Rivers’ issues and create opportunities for our spokespeople.
- Coordinate press events.
- Work with communications, government relations, and conservation staff to develop advocacy communication strategies for key issues. Coordinate with web team to develop strategies and content for online campaigns.
- · Work with creative agencies and other vendors on integrated campaigns and manage project budgets.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, environmental studies, political science, or other relevant area of study.
- Four to five years of work experience in communications, media relations or similar area, preferably in conservation, advocacy, or political campaigns.
- Proven ability to gain media coverage in targeted publications. Ability to pitch and advance stories.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Working knowledge of environmental issues and the political system.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Self-starter able to work independently and juggle multiple projects and priorities. Able to work well with colleagues in different offices and time zones.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Personal commitment to American Rivers’ mission.
COMPENSATION, TERM & BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. This full-time position is funded for 2 years but may be extended if the existing funding is renewed or new funding is found. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assoc. Dir. Comm. Position” in the subject line or to American Rivers, Attn: Assoc. Dir. Comm. Position, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer