Summer Naturalist Internships- Avon, CO
Position Title: Summer Naturalist Internships
Location: Avon, CO
Hours & Compensation: Housing plus $175 per week stipend
Application Deadline: March 10, 2014
Join Walking Mountains Science Center for an unforgettable opportunity to teach about Colorado’s Rocky Mountain ecosystem and work with people of all ages. Grow as an environmental educator and interpreter while creating an incredible network of contacts for your future career.
Summer Naturalist Interns present nature walks, interpretive talks, environmental education programs, evening programs, and provide outreach in sustainability education. Naturalists also staff and maintain visitor centers at Walking Mountains Science Center and our partner locations (US Forest Service – White River National Forest, Vail Nature Center; and Vail Resorts’ Nature Discovery Center). Training and ongoing professional development are also components of this internship position.
Naturalists will rotate through a schedule working at various nature/visitor centers, developing programs and lessons, guiding hikes for multi-aged groups, presenting interpretive evening programs, providing outreach in sustainability education, teaching environmental education lessons for children aged pre-K through elementary, and assisting in on-going Science Center projects.
• Enthusiasm for educating others about the natural environment and expanding personal knowledge of Rocky Mountain ecology;
• Experience with formal or informal education of children and/or adults;
• Excellent oral communication skills;
• Ability to obtain current First Aid and CPR certifications before summer begins;
• Interest in working flexible hours (including evenings and weekends);
• Ability to hike and work outdoors in all weather conditions;
• At least three years of education in a BA/BS degree in natural science, education, or an environmentally-related field;
• Positive, self-motivated, organized and creative individual who can work independently and as part of a team. Walking Mountains Science Center hires friendly, energetic and professional people.
• Desired qualifications: Specialized knowledge or interest in a natural science field (botany, ornithology, etc.), experience fly fishing, or the creative arts.
Location: Vail/Eagle County, Colorado
Duration of Positions: Several positions available, May 27, 2014 to September 2, 2014
Compensation: Housing plus $175 per week stipend
Multi-season Naturalist Internship positions are also avaiable.
Email a cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references, and Walking Mountains Employment Application Form to Lara Carlson, Community Programs Director, email address:firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is March 10, 2014.
For more information about Walking Mountains Science Center please visit our website at www.walkingmountains.org.