Summer Crew Leaders- Long Creek, OR
Position Title: Summer Crew Leaders
Location: Long Creek, OR
Hours & Compensation: $14/hour, free housing.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2014.
Term: June 2, 2014 through September 19, 2014 (end date flexible)
Our youth crew leaders work in the beautiful Blue Mountains of Oregon, seek responsibility with challenge, and enjoy mentoring youth. If you like making decisions, seeing the satisfaction of a young person’s success, and being out of doors in a rural environment, read on…
Crew leaders will be responsible for working with Council staff and youth to plan, organize and carry out natural resources stewardship projects designed to build an outdoor ethic in summer youth crew participants. Primary responsibilities include safety implementation, engagement and mentoring of teens and young adults, transportation, project planning, record keeping, and training.
Location: Positions are open in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon, with duty stations at Long Creek, OR and John Day, OR.
Projects: Projects include wilderness trail surveys, stream data collection, fence removal, etc. Expect lots of hiking!
• Facilitate crew operations: scheduling, safety, learning opportunities, equipment, etc.
• Communicate with NFJDWC staff daily
• Maintain radio contact with U.S. Forest Service when operating on federal lands
• Train and supervise crew members
• Manage and maintain records/documents as well as data collected on certain projects
• Purchasing for certain crew supplies
• Attend required training
• Manage first aid and emergency needs
• Be at least 21 years of age
• Valid state driver’s license
• Successfully complete criminal background check
• Possess First Aid and CPR certification (available in training)
• Knowledge of or experience in natural resources and/or youth development preferred
• Ability to perform physical labor manually for up to 8 hours in outdoor elements
• Legal ability to work in the United States
Benefits: $14/hr; free housing in Long Creek may be available if needed
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28.