Permitting Specialist-Los Angeles or San Diego
Position Title: Permitting Specialist
Location: Los Angeles or San Diego
Hours & Compensation: Not listed.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Reports to: SunShot Regional Program Manager
Available Openings: One
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Closes: Open until filled
Salary: Commensurate upon experience
Work Location: Los Angeles or San Diego
Job number: 2013-74-Los Angeles-20N
The Permitting Specialist will be joining a creative and cutting edge team to assist in the execution of CCSE’s Department of Energy (DOE) Rooftop Solar Challenge program and the California Energy Commission HVAC Permit Compliance program. The permitting specialist will provide a high level of technical solar PV and HVAC expertise to streamline permitting practices throughout California in working closely with local governments, regulators and contractors to support the coordination of the team’s activities and deliverables.
Primary Job Duties
1. Develop programs, best practices, and model guidelines
- Utilizing a high level of technical expertise in solar PV and HVAC technologies, work with stakeholders to define model practices, codes, and guidelines. Additionally, apply technical knowledge to inform, vet and develop a statewide online permitting system;
- Serve as a technical/engineering resource and code compliance expert working closely with program manager(s) on tasks and issues associated with the program(s);
- In conjunction with the Governor’s OPR and the Permitting Task Force, develop a statewide solar recognition program to identify high performing stakeholders in the solar market;
- Compile and refine statewide permitting best practices, model processes, standard plans and worksheets, and refine tools and processes to ensure they are relevant and scalable to jurisdictions across the state.
- Develop an outreach program and curriculum on new permitting processes;
2. Convene and direct stakeholders
- Maintain and build positive relationships with building departments and contractors throughout California to identify and understand best practices in solar and HVAC permitting
- Coordinate with the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) to convene a statewide Solar Permitting Task Force to identify a unified statewide permitting process and update the state’s solar permitting guidebook;
- Develop approaches to streamline permit processing for building energy projects and reduce barriers that cause contractors to not comply with permit requirements.
- Communicate lessons learned and share pertinent information between the HVAC and SunShot programs.
- Support SunShot and Building Performance staff on regulatory and technical issues and collateral development.
- Assist in developing tools and reports, as needed.
- Communicate with project managers/consulting clients to provide status updates, report concerns and develop remedies.
- Ensure prompt, professional and courteous telephone, email, and in-person interactions.
- This person must be willing to travel throughout the state of California.
Skills & Qualifications
- In-depth understanding of both solar PV and energy efficiency codes, policies and technologies;
- Strong technical and applied understanding of renewable energy and energy efficiency permitting processes;
- Experience with CPUC and CEC programs and the CA regulatory environment;
- Intermediate, demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, detail oriented skills, ability to perform within required deadlines;
- Able to effectively handle multiple tasks, changing priorities and complex assignments;
- Excellent consultation, collaboration, verbal, written communication, organizational and planning skills;
- If hired, the candidate must provide documentation that shows their legal right to work in the United States.
- This person must be well organized, reliable and enjoy the challenges of supporting an organization of diverse people and program initiatives.
- California registered Professional Engineer
- Certified Energy Manager
- HERS Rater
- Code compliance specialist (i.e. inspector, permit coordinator)
- Knowledge of new and emerging trends in the areas of energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Proven experience in energy project development
- Detailed knowledge of customer energy management issues
- Experience within the energy sector or utilities or within public agencies
- Knowledge of legislation and regulations related to global warming and greenhouse gas mitigation
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in energy engineering, buildings-related field (engineering, architecture, project management), policy, environmental sciences, or related discipline from a four-year college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience specifically relating to solar PV and energy-efficient technologies and implementation strategies to retrofit existing buildings and design new buildings through consulting, project or construction management, or other relevant experience
- A proven ability to quickly learn new technology and program settings
- Outstanding communication skills with the proven ability to utilize these skills across groups
Computer and/or Technical Skills
Demonstrated high-level of abilities of various computer software programs and fluency in using standard office software packages such as MS Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Fluent with MS Office 2007 Suite and Windows XP. Direct experience with EnergyPro, Micropas and other building simulation tools is highly desirable. Strong familiarity with statewide energy efficiency codes and standards software programs.
License, Certifications or Registrations
Valid California Drivers License; insurable in the State of California. Must own a licensed and registered vehicle and be willing to use it for work-related purposes.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee will work in an office environment and must possess the physical abilities to utilize standard office equipment: computer, telephone, copier etc.
- Travel may occasionally be on short notice. Periodic overnight travel may be required.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Job responsibilities may require the use of personal or CCSE vehicles on CCSE business. BPPA must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record.
- May work some evenings and weekends or work longer hours to meet deadlines.
- Download and fill the CCSE Application for Employment Form
- Please send a resume, application and cover letter along with salary history via e-mail email@example.com.