Staff Attorney -San Francisco, California.
Position Title: Staff Attorney
Location: San Francisco, California
Hours & Compensation: Full time. Salary is commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: The position will remain open until filled
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection of imperiled plants, animals and wild places, seeks a full-time experienced attorney for our Oceans program. The emphasis of the position will be to advocate for the protection of marine life from threats including climate change, ocean acidification, plastic pollution, offshore oil drilling and overfishing. The staff attorney will work as part of a team using law and advocacy toward reforming destructive practices that are imperiling our oceans. The staff attorney will be supervised by the Oceans Program Director and will work closely with oceans program, conservation and communications staff.
- Litigate cases to gain results that will protect marine species and habitats throughout the United States.
- Develop cases and campaigns aimed to further the goals of the Center’s oceans program.
- Advocate for administrative and legislative policies for marine conservation through scientific and legal comments, oral testimony, policy analysis, petitions for rulemaking, and effective communications.
- Conduct media advocacy, including writing press releases, media strategy and outreach, and delivering effective statements to reporters.
- Engage Center supporters, the public and opinion leaders to protect the oceans through campaign activities such as public speaking, rallies, action alerts, opinion editorials and direct outreach.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum five years civil litigation experience, environmental law preferred.
- Familiarity with environmental laws such as the Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Magnuson-Stevens Act.
- Excellent writing, communication, research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Proven ability to develop cases and manage a docket of several matters.
- Experience consistently meeting internal and external deadlines and producing finished products in a timely manner.
- Experience planning and implementing environmental or advocacy campaigns.
- Strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of an effective team.
- Scientific literacy, and background in marine or environmental science is preferred.
- A demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
Salary is commensurate with experience and comparable to other non-profits. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including vacation time; employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; as well as a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, a résumé, references, and a writing sample to email@example.com “Oceans Staff Attorney” in the subject. The position will remain open until filled. Desired start date is March 2014. No telephone calls please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Learn more about the Center’s Oceans Program.