Graduate Advocacy Intern-Washinton DC.
Organization: Casey Trees
Position Title: Graduate Advocacy Intern
Location: Washinton DC
Application Deadline: February 21, 2014
The mission of Casey Trees is to “restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the nation’s capital.” Casey Trees is looking for a Graduate Advocacy Intern to work with the Director of Planning and Design to help conceptualize and implement tree related advocacy initiatives in DC in accordance with Casey Trees’ mission.
This internship is open to candidates with relevant work experience who have an undergraduate degree, are current graduate level students, or graduate degree.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, enthusiastic, highly motivated individual, loves working with people, and is dedicated to the Casey Trees mission. The candidate should have excellent research ability, superior oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work with others and independently. The candidate must be able to lead teams, meet deadlines and communicate project status with supervisors. Attention to detail is required.
- Co-lead training events for volunteer advocates
- Help to design and conduct outreach and advocacy events
- Assist in creating advocacy briefing materials for policy and development issues that impact DC’s tree canopy
ethe Contact Management System (CRM) and online
- Research and maintain up-to-date information on upcoming, tree related planning and community meetings.
- Assist in securing political support by leveraging existing relationships and creating new relationships with policymakers and stakeholders
- Present on tree canopy and development issues at community meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, environmental policy, English, communications or related field.
- A minimum 1-2 years of experience in policy research and local advocacy.
- Basic regional tree and plant knowledge is preferred.
Position duration and Compensation
This is a part-time, temporary position, 10-12 weeks in length (16-21 hours per week), starting on or afterMarch 17
, 2014 for $12 -$14/hour (commensurate with experience).
How to apply:
Precisely follow the following instructions:
- Email the following items to Maisie Hughes, Director of Planning and Design, at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please refrain from sending your application to additional or alternate email addresses).
- Enter “Graduate Advocacy Intern” in the subject line of the email.
- Include all application materials:
- Cover letter
- Writing Sample
- Available start date
- Phone and email contact information for three references