Education Manager-New York.
Organization: Urban Green Council (USGBC New York Chapter)
Position Title: Education Manager
Hours & Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: February 28, 2014
Urban Green Council, the New York Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, seeks a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to manage and lead curriculum development for green building education programs with a national reach.
About Urban Green Council
Urban Green Council’s mission is to advance sustainability in urban buildings through our education, advocacy, and research efforts.
A non-profit organization established in 2002, Urban Green Council, the largest chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, has quickly grown to a full-time staff of 16. Our in-house experts and a dedicated network of volunteers are helping to transform the built environment in New York City with models that can be replicated in urban centers nationwide.
Urban Green Council provides a range of educational and networking events for members and the green building community, conducts research, and advocates for change that will make cities more sustainable. Flagship programs include the Building Resiliency Task Force, NYC Green Codes Task Force, GPRO: Green Professional Building Skills Training, and the EBies: our national awards for performance improvements in Existing Buildings. Please visit www.urbangreencouncil.org for more information.
Urban Green Council’s Educational Programs
GPRO (www.gpro.org) is a series of courses and exams that teach the people who build and maintain buildings the principles of sustainability and trade-specific green construction knowledge. It fills a critical gap in the world of green building by completing the circle between green design, construction and operations, engaging audiences who are not otherwise reached by the case-study seminars typical of green building education.
Conquering the Energy Code is a series of courses that teach Architects and Engineers the basics of sustainable design and strategies to comply with ever more stringent energy codes. These courses will find engaging ways to motivate participants to incorporate sustainability into their design process.
Targeted Green Education is a series of educational programs to reach audiences in the real estate industry who have had previously had little access to green education such as commercial tenants, coop and condo board owners, brokers and appraisers and teach them ways that they can act to incorporate sustainability into their current practices.
About the Position
The Education Manager will play a central role in creating materials for Urban Green’s signature programs, which will reach thousands of people in the construction and real estate industries, many of whom will be learning about sustainability issues for the first time.
Responsible for creating technical content, which may include gathering information from experts across the country, the Curriculum Manager will synthesize content into engaging and motivating curriculum materials. This individual will participate in strategic decisions about educational programs and develop high-quality written and graphic materials along with the curriculum team. The Curriculum Manager will act as a Master Trainer for instructors while advising about teaching methods and adult learning strategies.
The Education Manager will report directly to the Director of Education and be an integral part of the curriculum team consisting of an Education Coordinator, Education Associate(s), interns, and consultants.
This position will provide the qualified candidate broad latitude to shape the advancement of green building in the United States.
- Create content and develop course materials that will motivate and inspire audiences.
- Strategize and implement new teaching methods (both in-person and online tools) that will convey important sustainability information in an effective way.
- Reach out to industry experts to recruit them as members of Curriculum Working Groups, which can range from 10-35 members, and maintain communication with them throughout the entire process.
- Participate in or chair meetings with curriculum committees and subject matter experts.
- Prepare detailed outlines of course manuals in conjunction with Curriculum Working Group.
- Prepare drafts of curriculum manuals focusing on accuracy of technical content, flow and audience appropriateness.
- Review and edit drafts of PowerPoint presentations, classroom exercises, instructor materials and exam questions.
- Lead instructor training sessions and participate in instructor feedback process.
- Work with Education team to develop and be responsible for executing a curriculum development schedule, including budget projections.
- Maintain exceptionally high level of quality control for course materials including consistency among modules, adherence to curriculum committee’s intent and compliance with GPRO style guidelines.
- Participate in senior staff meetings, staff review process and staff recruiting as needed.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Masters degree or equivalent in architecture, engineering, construction management or related field
- Minimum of 10 years related work experience in sustainability and design, construction or building operations
- Experience teaching to adults and ability to connect with and engage diverse audiences using different teaching platforms
- Proven interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues
- Strong technical writing skills, a writing sample is required
- Outstanding organizational skills and proven ability to follow-through on long- and short-term tasks
- Proactive and strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities effectively
- Ability to think through problems and identify forward-looking solutions
- Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills
- Experience working on fast-paced project teams
- Personable and professional, with project and team management skills
- Knowledge of and competence with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Google Docs
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, employee-paid 401(K) plan and a generous vacation policy.
How to apply:
How to Apply: Please email cover letter and resume (compiled in a single PDF titled [NAME]) with “Education Manager/your name” in the subject line firstname.lastname@example.org