Program Operations Director-Los Angeles, CA.
Organization: The Children’s Nature Institute
Position Title: Program Operations Director
Hours & Compensation: Full time, 40 Hours a Week / Up to $42,000 per year salaried
Application Deadline: Not listed
The mission of The Children’s Nature Institute (CNI) is to educate children, families, and communities through interactive experiences in nature and to inspire respect, responsibility, and a connection to the natural environment.
The Program Operations Director is instrumental in managing and directing our talented team of Program Staff to provide the most effective, efficient and impactful nature-based programming to more than 10,000 children each year. This important role also manages all our partnership programs and is responsible for meeting our annual fee-based income goals.
- Manage a team of highly skilled and expert staff, including: Education Manager, Environmental Educators, Volunteer Coordinator, Office Coordinator, and Animal Husbandry Specialist.
- Responsible for the hiring and training of all new staff.
- Assist with balancing schedules and workflow.
- Troubleshoot and find solutions with personnel when issues arise.
- Guide, mentor, and encourage staff development.
- Work with our Education Manager to monitor and plan the overall Program Department workload, projects, and staff assignments.
- Ensure that the staff assigned to scheduled programs and events is supported and well-prepared, and that all database information is complete.
- Monitor and assist in program tracking. Report program statistics such as: number of people served, evaluations received, program budgets, etc. Provide assistance to Directors in compiling and interpreting factual information for grant writing and board meetings, etc.
- Gather, organize, and occasionally develop documentation and evaluations of various programs, working closely with Education Manager and Environmental Educators in the design and scope of related documentation.
- Prepare for and lead weekly Program Meetings.
- Help to source, price, and acquire any new program materials.
- Photograph programs and events when necessary, to provide material for media and grants.
- Monitor CNI’s Wondermobile traveling science vans to ensure staff is completing weekly fuel purchasing, washing, oil changes, and regular servicing appointments. Report vehicle issues to Executive Director for assessment.
- Responsible for handling all customer service feedback.
- Control the monthly/annual Program Budget as advised by Executive Director.
Animal Husbandry Supervision
- Assist our highly skilled Animal Husbandry Specialist to ensure health and welfare of all animals; ensuring that Program Team is providing the necessary daily care to each of the animals in our collection, meeting each species’ exact requirements.
Fee-Based Income & Collaborative Partnership Management
- Manage existing non-profit and for-profit partnership programs: work with partners to assess needs and determine program/contract structure that that is aligned with the organizations’ missions.
- Develop, source, and secure new income-generating programs. Responsible for achieving the financial goals set in the annual budget. Bring substantial value-added, mission-related programs for clients, educators and organization. Contact new schools, new organizations, etc. that can pay for our programs.
- Develop and implement new program marketing materials and overall marketing strategy. Similarly, design and incorporate the sale of CNI for-profit items that are aligned with our mission.
- Ensure all fee-based program bookings for schools, events and parties are completed accurately and in a timely manner by staff, via: phone conversations, scheduling by e-mail, inputting information into our database, sending all necessary paperwork to the booking party and making sure confirmation policies are received in a timely manner. Work with teachers, administrators or parents to plan and implement activities and curriculum that are of interest to the private party and that promote fun, hands-on learning experiences for all kids.
- Assign staff to all of the booked partnership and fee-based programming.
- Maintains and prepares staff on high quality customer standards for all programming.
Organizational / Miscellaneous
- Assist the team in preparation work for annual events such as Annual Gala, Urban Nature Week, Kids Rock, etc.
- Contribute to and write materials for funding purposes, as required by Executive Director, which may include proposals, reports, marketing and other communications.
- Ensure that CNI’s monthly newsletter (via Constant Contact) is published in a timely manner, with staff contributing to the necessary areas.
How to apply:
To apply: Email cover letter, resume and salary history to: Kelly@cni-kids.org
Please title the email subject line: Program Operations Director
Please, no calls.