Community Organizer – Holyoke/Springfield-Holyoke, MA.
Organization: Neighbor to Neighbor Massachusetts
Position Title: Community Organizer
Hours & Compensation: Full-Time
Application Deadline: March 13, 2014
About Neighbor to Neighbor Massachusetts (N2N-MA): Neighbor to Neighbor Massachusetts is a progressive organization of working class, multi-racial, and multi-ethnic people working together to build political and economic power to improve the quality of lives in our communities. As members, we lead the change ourselves through education & training, issue & electoral organizing, policy advocacy, alliance building, community-controlled economic development, and holding decision-makers accountable.
Main Responsibilities of the Position (Organizer will split his/her time between Springfield and Holyoke):
- Work in each area and with its current active members to build each chapter by:
- Facilitating strategy discussions and setting goals with members
- Doing recruitment and outreach to the local community
- Working with members to implement tactics and reach desired outcomes
- Developing leadership skills of membership base
- Coordinating the chapter’s work with the statewide organization
- Conducting local media and communications work
- Lead the Action for Healthy Holyoke!Coalition toward meeting their goals of shutting down the Mt. Tom coal plant and embarking on a just transition for the workers and the community.
- Work together with organizers from allied organizations and N2N Holyoke members to develop and carry-out corporate and regulatory campaign strategies and tactics
- Recruit and involve activists and local health and community-based organizations in the campaign
- Develop communications materials and organize press events
- Conduct major donor work and grant-writing work under supervision of Fundraising Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- Passionate individual
- Someone who understands the struggles low-income communities of color face
- Has passion for social change and political empowerment of low-income, working class people.
- Experience doing outreach work in communities of color.
- Excellent writing, computer, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to building unity in multi-racial community.
- Skilled in fundraising.
- Experience in issue, labor, electoral or community organizing.
- Fluency in Spanish.
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Send resumes & cover letter with subject heading“Springfield/Holyoke Organizer”to Organizing Director, Ivette C. Luna atIvette@n2nma.org