Finance Director-Washington, DC.
Organization: EarthRights International
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time. Part time
Application Deadline: March 7, 2014
EarthRights International (ERI) is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization (NGO) with offices in Washington DC, Thailand, Peru, and Myanmar/Burma. ERI combines the power of law and the power of people in defence of human rights and the environment. Specializing in legal actions against perpetrators of earth rights abuses, training for grassroots community leaders and advocacy campaigns, we seek to end earth rights abuses, and to promote and protect human and environmental rights in the communities where we work.
ERI is seeking to fill the new position of Finance Director to help build our systems and structures for financial management as our organization expands in size and geographic scope. We are looking for an individual who can contribute at a high level to the development of our rapidly expanding global organization, and help staff and management better use and understand financial information as it relates to strategic decisions and priorities.
The Finance Director is ultimately responsible for the management of all accounting and financial matters of the organization. He/she is also responsible for keeping the management updated regarding the financial condition of the organization, informed in a timely manner of any pending problems, and for recommending actions to ensure the financial security and integrity of the organization. The Finance Director reports to the Executive Director and works with the Audit, Executive and Finance Committees of the Board of Directors. He/she has regular interaction with staff at all levels of the organization and is responsible for directing internal accounting staff and/or management of an accounting service provider.
This position is flexible, permanent, and initially part-time (20-30 hrs/week), but could evolve into a full time position depending on desire and qualifications of applicant.
The Finance Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Regular management of staff or service provider to set priorities, manage workflow and validate accuracy of work
- Managing the RFP for a new accounting system or service provider including the transition of QuickBooks data to the new system
- Ultimate responsibility for function, accuracy, utilization and working knowledge of the selected accounting system
- Full understanding of accounting cycle and support systems, grants management/funds accounting, closing schedules and expected management reports with the consideration that grant accounting often does not follow a traditional reporting period
- Conducting team meetings and help serve as an interface between finances and program, i.e. serve as a “translator” of financial information to program staff.
- Preparing financial statements and detailed analysis; discussing finance with management and the Board of Directors; must have ease in speaking “accounting” to non-accounting leaders
- Supporting program heads or Directors on financial analysis needed in their day-to-day work, utilizing the system and processes to provide ad hoc reports
- Coordinating with accountant the payroll processing, reporting and accounting
- Preparing the overall organization budget, compiling input from program staff and directors and preparing working documents with budget vs. actual analysis and variance explanations
- Working with accountant on cash reporting and monitoring; alertsmanagement to cash availability
- Maintaining standard operating procedures for finance department functions
- Promoting a paperless environment
- Coordinating the annual financial audit; main point of contact for CPA firm
Requirements: This position requires a dynamic leader who possesses a broad understanding of accounting systems, policies, and procedures while also being flexible within a diverse and growing non-profit organization. It also requires a person who has the confidence and ability to think and speak strategically to a wide range of end-users of the financial data. The Finance Director must support staff in using financial information strategically in order to get their job done and meet the overall mission of the organization. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, work well in an informal, team-oriented environment, have a good sense of humor and experience working and/or desire to work in a multicultural setting.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business related degree desired and Master’s degree in business related field preferred. Prior responsibility for full accounting process and staff management in a non-profit environment required. Advanced Excel proficiency required; ERP system experience desired.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and ERI offers a generous benefits package.
How to apply:
Send the following materials to email@example.com:
- Cover letter / email
- CV / resume
- 3 references
Email applications only. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will only be contacting candidates chosen for an interview. No third parties or phone calls, please.
Application Deadline: March 7, 2014, for priority consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
ERI is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.