Director, Media & Communications-Washington, DC
Position Title: Director, Media & Communications
Location: Washington, DC.
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2014
InterAction is the largest alliance of U.S.-based international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), with nearly 190 members working in every developing country. Members are large and small, faith-based and secular, with a focus on the world’s most poor and vulnerable populations. The U.S. public, foundations and others support the efforts of our membership through funding totaling more than $9 billion a year. InterAction’s funds come from dues and generous grants from others, such as foundations. Using its collective voice, InterAction seeks to shape important policy decisions as wide range of foreign assistance, relief, development, environmental and other issues that advance human dignity.
About the Position:
Position Title: Director, Media & Communications
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to: Vice President, Communications
The Director of Media and Communications will help develop and execute a creative and results-oriented media and communications strategy to raise awareness, engagement, impact and support of the critical work of InterAction and its members, and the NGO brand. Emphasis will be on shaping, nurturing and growing an effective media program that uses new and traditional media platforms. Other essential functions include writing compelling content targeted at the media and other key audiences; coordinating media and communications efforts among InterAction staff, its members and key partners, as well as managing day-to-day operational aspects of a busy communications department. S/he will be a hands-on, highly-motivated, collaborative, creative and strategic media and communications professional committed to global development.
- Assist the Vice President of Communications in developing and implementing a strategic media and communications plan.
- Shape, nurture and grow an effective media program that uses new and traditional media platforms.
- Develop media messages, talking points, op/eds, press releases, web content and other materials; and help orchestrate organizational and membership communications and media campaigns around key moments and issues
- Secure, maintain and grow media relationships with reporters, editorial writers, columnists and broadcast media to advance our work and solutions to pressing global challenges. Serve as main point of contact with media.
- Develop and maintain the editorial calendar of opportunities to promote our work.
- Develop and implement strategy for high-level speaking engagements for InterAction leadership to promote InterAction as contributor in addressing global challenges.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications counterparts at member and partner organizations.
- Help manage the day-to-day operational aspects of a busy communications department, including guiding the work of the communications team, interns and consultants.
A successful candidate will have at least 12 years of experience in media and strategic communications, 5 of which should be in a supervisory and/or leadership role. Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to help develop and implement media programs, making maximum use of limited resources. Applicants must be able to translate complex issues into compelling messages and materials and have existing and relevant media contacts and demonstrated media placement. Familiarity with international development, humanitarian and/or NGO issues is expected. Experience with advocacy and fund-raising campaigns, and working with coalitions, membership organizations and/or other strategic communications partnerships is a plus.. All applicants should possess good organizational skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to work efficiently under pressure. Experience in web, online and digital communications and how to best integrate and align content across platforms is desired. Knowledge of publication production is also desired.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary & Benefits:
InterAction provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
How to apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line containing: Director, Media & Communications. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this opening. Position will remain open until March 31st but preference will be given to applications received by March 17th.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be notified. All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States for an extended period of time. No phone calls please.