E2 State Advocate-Chicago, IL
Organization: Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
Position Title: E2 State Advocate
Location: Chicago, IL
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.
Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) is creating a new position, E2 State Advocate. The E2 State Advocate will direct E2′s advocacy work at the state level in the Midwest and other key states east of the Rockies, in alignment with E2 and NRDC institutional priorities. The State Advocate will manage the recruitment, engagement and deployment of E2 members in those states.
E2 is a national organization of business people who advocate for policies that advance both environmental and economic objectives. www.e2.org E2 is an affiliate of NRDC, and coordinates closely with NRDC on select policy issues and campaigns where a business perspective is valuable. In recent years, E2 has prioritized work on climate and clean energy, and has also addressed water and ocean resource management.
Our single largest campaign over the next three years will be adoption of EPA power plant carbon pollution standards at the Federal level, with implementation at the state level. E2′s objective will be to demonstrate and promote the economic benefits to businesses and communities from developing energy efficiency and renewable energy resources that will deliver significant emission reductions in compliance with these carbon standards. In order to make that case, E2 needs to expand its resources at the state level, both in terms of E2 staff leadership and recruiting of strategic E2 members.
The E2 State Advocate should be a dynamic professional who will:
- Identify and recruit business leaders for advocacy purposes in identified Midwest states, and potentially other target states for the EPA carbon standards work.
- Engage business leaders on an ongoing basis, through personal outreach and by organizing region specific programs and events, such as roundtables, expert forums/workshops and meetings with officials.
- Identify opportunities to deploy business leaders for direct advocacy and media outreach in support of the EPA carbon standards and related state-level clean energy/climate policies.
- Coordinate with other ‘clean energy’ business /trade association groups in the Midwest and other target states around the EPA carbon standards work.
- Support the E2 Executive Director in building a strong E2 membership and presence in the Midwest.
- The E2 State Advocate will report to the E2 Executive Director, will work closely with the E2 Federal Advocate and the E2 Communications Director, and will coordinate with NRDC staff to make sure that the efforts of the E2 business advocates are aligned with the larger campaign.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience recruiting and engaging business people for advocacy purposes, with appreciation for community-building elements of the endeavor.
- Demonstrated ability to build networks and work in partnership with the private sector, NGOs and volunteer organizations.
- Knowledge of clean energy and/or climate policy issues, and preferably, advocacy campaign experience.
- Respect for the value of the ‘business perspective’, and ability to reconcile business and environmental perspectives in a productive fashion.
- Self-starter, comfortable coordinating with multiple players inside and outside E2/NRDC.
- Good interpersonal skills, and ability to build personal relationships easily.
- Strong communication skills.
- Highly organized, with strong attention to follow-up.
- At least 6-10 years of work experience.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How to apply
To apply, please create a profile @ www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your cover letter and resume. No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-927-2472.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org