Nurse Researcher / Research Assistant-San Francisco, CA
Organization: Center for Youth Wellness
Position Title: Nurse Researcher / Research Assistant
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time. Salary based on experience and qualifications.
Application Deadline: May 16, 2014
The Center for Youth Wellness (CYW) seeks a motivated, energetic Research Assistant to assist the Director of Research in developing and implementing CYW research program on toxic stress and ACEs. The research assistant will work closely with the Director of Research to develop all relevant research documents and will directly work with research participants to collect informed consent and biological specimen as required. He/she will update the patient database with all relevant information and comply with confidential regulations about patients’ data. Finally, he/she will participate and assist in the organization of community-based events and trainings relevant to the research program. Overall, the Research assistant will provide general office management (subject scheduling, data management), technical assistance (collecting, processing, coordinating samples, data, information and data) and serve as the CYW phlebotomist. The Research Assistant will report directly to the Director of Research.
1. Assist with the development and execution of the Clinical Research Program:
- Provide subject reception, screening and scheduling as needed for the research program.
- Assist in the recruitment of new research subjects.
- Assist in the development of research protocols.
- Collect, process, and assist in the compilation and verification of research data, samples, and/ or specimens (following strict protocol and detailed instructions).
- Ship specimen to a core lab where they will be stored (following strict protocol and detailed instructions).
2. Keep an accurate and timely record of research files:
- Organize research files including research binders for each research project, consent forms and case report forms.
- Enter data from forms and documents into databases and other documents
- Assist with routine data verification and quality control, ensuring data integrity and consistency with prescribed study protocol
3. Build relationships in the community:
- Assist in the organization of community-based events linked to the research program
- Organize meetings for the Community-based Research Advisory Board
- Organize research events in the community as required in collaboration with the Community-engagement team.
4. Assist in the training of community members and outreach workers about the different aspects of research, using the CYW developed training material, and assist in the development of training material.
5. Follow established policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of public health.
- Familiarity with clinical research regulations.
- Knowledge of the Bayview Hunters Point Community history and challenges and demonstrated cultural competency working with this community or similar community preferred.
- Required experience working with low-income communities of color.
- Outstanding communication, technical writing skills and understanding of medical terminology/research.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand and follow complex, detailed technical instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow basic scientific research protocol and procedure.
- Highly proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint), email, internet.
- Advanced understanding of data management processes.
- Ability to analyze and interpret scientific data and skilled in the use of computerized systems and databases.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, service and mission-driven environment.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Ability to be creative and flexible in day-to-day work.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org with “Nurse Researcher/Research Assistant”
in the subject line.No phone calls please.