Freshkills Park Events & Programs Intern-New York, NY
Organization: Freshkills Park, NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
Position Title: Freshkills Park Events & Programs Intern
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: 25 hours/week.Unpaid.
Application Deadline: May 16, 2014
The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation manages 14 percent of the land in New York City. These assets range from playgrounds and large parks, to tranquil wooded areas and over 14 miles of beaches. Parks serve as New Yorkers’ backyards, as vital meeting areas for outdoor play and recreation — but also as critical engines for economic growth and development.
The Freshkills Park Team is working to transform the 2,200-acre Fresh Kills Landfill on the Arthur Kill waterfront of Staten Island into a new public park over the next 30 years. The creation of New York’s new parkland at Fresh Kills is one of the most ambitious public works projects in the history of New York City, combining state of the art ecological restoration techniques with an extraordinary setting for recreation, public art, and environmental education.
We are looking for talented and qualified interns with backgrounds in art, urban planning and design, landscape architecture, public policy or community advocacy and interested in natural and cultural sustainability issues to join our small staff in the park project’s lower Manhattan headquarters. All positions are part-time, will involve site visits and provide opportunities to collaboratively contribute to ongoing park planning and project implementation. Interns are given wide latitude to craft their own project while gaining exposure to a range of in-depth activities and day-to-day tasks. We offer competent supervision, a supportive work environment, and interaction with different levels of staff. Our interns walk away with knowledge of NYC Parks and solid projects that have life after the internship. No two internships are the same. Graduate students preferred but qualified undergraduates are encouraged to apply.
The Freshkills Park Events and Programs Intern will gain exposure to the wide range of events and programs offered by Freshkills Park and will have the opportunity to propose and plan a new program or event. Over the summer, the main focus for programming and events staff is the preparation for our fifth annual Sneak Peak, our main public event that occurs each fall. In addition to planning new events and gaining understanding of program planning and implementation, interns will be responsible for developing critical program components for Sneak Peak and will have the opportunity to work in various settings and in collaboration with a range of program partners.
- Assisting in the planning and coordination of this year’s Sneak Peak – our main public event that drew over 3,500 attendees in 2013
- Acting as liaison with event partners
- Participating in, and documenting, site tours and public events
- Updating our website, blog, and social media with event and program information
- Implementing outreach and marketing for event listings
- Attending team meetings, interagency meetings and planning sessions when possible
- Self-determination and willingness to work outdoors
- Knowledge of and interest in topics in natural sciences, environmental science, waste & recycling is helpful
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with the public
- Enthusiasm for outdoor activities including hiking, kayaking, etc.
Expected Duration: late May through late August with possibility of extension into the fall
Hours: 20-30 per week (schedule by arrangement)
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Mariel Villeré, firstname.lastname@example.org