Volunteer with a Community Based Organization- Uganda.
Organization: EMPOWER AND CARE ORGANISATION
Position Title: Volunteer
Hours and Compensation: 30 hours/week. Unpaid.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
- Hands-on assistance to families – help with the daily household chores of families with children that have been orphaned as a result of poverty, HIV/AIDS, violence, conflict related displacement or war. People with social work skills will find this experience very rewarding.
- Help establish income-generating activities – provide assistance to our projects that create and implement income-generating opportunities for women, vulnerable children, orphans, youth and the elderly. You can become a valuableincubator of a new family business.
- Office and logistic activities – deliver office support, assist with administrative tasks such as budgeting, accounting, updating paperwork, and maintaining personnel files on children and other beneficiaries. Bring your organizational experience to bear in a different setting.
- Project management – develop and write project proposals, write grant proposals, help in fundraising, sensitizing the community about health and sanitation. Write progress reports on EACO projects. Bring your project skills to enhance our skills.
- Teach children – teach math, language, science, personal health, and other topics at schools. Organize day-care activities in the roles of teachers, camp counselors and day care workers. Good for people who love children. Bring your games, songs, musical instrument and enthusiasm to the village!
- Peers education – deliver training to staff and volunteers on issues relevant to the activities where EACO is involved. Help enhance our knowledge base. Be a co-coordinator of one of our peer education projects or help develop a new peer education project. Be a teacher of teachers.
- Train farmers – give our rural beneficiaries information and training on applicable technology forbest-of-breed agricultural practices, land conservation, food security, bee keeping and others. Bring your knowledge and ability to teach and work the land.
Qualifications: EACO is in need of skilled professionals that can help the organization to improve and develop, but our team welcomes the enthusiasm and commitment of all willing volunteers. EACO is committed to ensuring all voluntary experiences are as mutually beneficial as possible. Our staff will welcome you as one of the family, and give you the chance to make life-long friends in the community, really make a difference, and work with a truly inspirational community based organization.
Health Requirements: Volunteers must take anti-malaria pills.
Equipment/Clothing: Suitable clothes for hot/rainy climate. EACO is a well respected organization, both in the community and internationally. We ask that volunteers are clean and presentable when undertaking their work in the community.
Insurance: Volunteer’s responsibility.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy and database familiarity required.
- The ideal candidate writes persuasive, clear, concise proposals and has experience writing proposals.
- A disciplined self-starter who pays attention to detail, regularly sets and achieves work goals, has the ability to work independently and calmly.
- Ability to work well in a small team environment is essential.
Volunteering is a very rewarding experience. You get to meet many different types of people and form solid relationships based on mutual respect, understanding, and caring. As a EACO volunteer you will:
- Make a difference in people’s lives, bringing about social change
- Develop a wide network and range of skills and experience that can transform your own life
- Have the opportunity to visit one of the best tourism destinations in the world according to National Geographic and Lonely Planet
International Volunteering Program
EACO developed a program to receive its international volunteers. The program includes:
- Airport pick up and drop off at Entebbe Airport
- Accommodation: inMukono, EACO can arrange for volunteers to stay with a local family or in a guest house. In Maracha the volunteer must stay with the project co-ordinator in the area.
- Food: 3 meals per day
- In-country orientation/ training
- In-country staff support
- Language Instructio
EACO suggests a minimum donation of £100 per week (USD 160 or 125 Euros) to cover the program expenses. That amount should be transferred directly to our bank account at least two weeks before your placement. There are no application or registration fees required.
Volunteers can stay from 1 week to 52 weeks, volunteering from 12 to 50 hours a week. Volunteers must be 18 years old, and should apply at least two weeks in advance. We can accept volunteers with a disability depending on the disability.
For Visa Information for Uganda
Go to this link: http://www.projectvisa.com/visainformation/Uganda
How to apply