Business Manager-San Francisco, CA.
Organization: Consultative Group on Biological Diversity
Position Title: Business Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Founded in 1987 and located in San Francisco’s Presidio, the Consultative Group on Biological Diversity (CGBD) is a professional association of grantmakers with a shared vision for a sustainable, just and healthy future for all life on Earth, advanced by a vibrant and effective philanthropic sector. The CGBD supports member-driven programs and special initiatives that focus on climate change and energy, marine ecosystems, land and freshwater conservation, conservation science, the Gulf of California, and international biodiversity issues. With an annual budget of $1.5M and a staff of 8, the CGBD hosts convenings, briefings, and other educational offerings such as webinars throughout the year. www.cgbd.org
The CGBD business manager directly provides all financial and office management for the organization.
Financial Management (40%)
- Manage AP, AR, credit cards and travel reimbursements; manage cash flow to meet operational needs; perform all bookkeeping including journal entries and account reconciliations; secure executive director review and sign-off.
- Develop annual budget in coordination with executive director, program managers, and board finance committee; produce regular reports and analysis of variance; monitor investment portfolio performance.
- Manage annual audit, including preparation of all schedules and liaison with audit team; maintain relationship with consulting accountant to solicit additional technical support as needed; provide support to audit committee to review auditor report and recommendations.
- Provide staff support to board treasurer and finance committee.
- Maintain banking relationships; secure additional banking services as needed to meet the operational needs of the organization.
- Maintain liaison with insurance vendor and evaluate annual coverage to ensure its continuing suitability.
- Submit all required government filings, including CA use tax, multi-state charities registration, and ERISA; work with audit firm to submit annual federal and state informational returns.
- Monitor and ensure accounting policies are in compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and FASB standards; recommend changes as necessary.
Grants Management (40%)
- Maintain grants calendar and files, and work closely with executive director and program managers to draft and submit membership renewal requests and invoices, and works with program managers to submit proposals and reports.
Meeting Support (10%)
- Review contracts with service providers (hotels, caterers, et al.), submit direct bill applications, and ensure contractual payments are made on time.
- Support registration payments and refunds as needed.
- Reconcile registrations to revenue and close out receivables.
- Administer speaker reimbursement payments.
- With executive director, prepares board packet for 3 meetings per year.
- General logistical support for meetings as directed. Some travel may be required.
- Administer and troubleshoot benefits, maintain vendor relationships with benefit providers, and negotiate renewal packages.
- Submit semi-monthly payroll and manage relationship with payroll vendor.
- Monitor and ensure personnel policies are in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations; recommend changes as necessary.
- Manage workers compensation claims; ensure that WC coverage is appropriate and administer annual renewal/audit process.
- Administer new hire and termination process; maintain personnel files and ensure all records are in compliance with relevant legal requirements.
- Maintain smooth office operations; pick up and distribute the mail; purchase office supplies and equipment; work closely with IT specialist to ensure computer systems meet staff needs; maintain liaison with ergonomic consultant to provide a healthy work environment.
- Maintain liaison with building management staff and subtenant.
- Maintain office procedures manual and ensure that all policies are kept documented and updated.
Other duties as assigned.
- Mastery of QuickBooks (PC) and Mac office systems with particular strength in Excel.
- Well developed understanding of non-profit financial management, reporting and compliance, as demonstrated by work experience to date.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Candidate must be well-organized, extremely detail-oriented, discreet, unfailingly courteous, and have a positive attitude.
- 5 years non-profit administration experience.
- Facility with[[http:Salesforce.com|Salesforce.com]].
- Background in customer service, donor relations, and/or in a membership organization.
- Interest in environmental, climate change and energy issues.
Compensation: Competitive salary plus excellent benefits including full family health coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement plan, vacation, sick time, and 17 paid holidays per year.
How to apply
Please submit resume with salary history, references, and a substantive cover letter specifically addressing your qualifications for this position to cgbd [at] cgbd [dot] org.No phone calls please. Local candidates strongly preferred. This position is available immediately; open until filled. CGBD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.