Associate – Climate Research and Policy-Washington DC.
Organization: Climate Advisers
Position Title: Associate
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: April 1, 2014
Climate Advisers, a growing mission-driven consulting firm, is seeking a smart, talented and self-motivated Associate to join its research and policy team, which promotes climate policies and solutions through original analysis and outreach. The successful candidate will participate in major research projects as well as interact with policy makers and opinion leaders in the federal government, foundations, think tanks, environmental organizations, and corporations. The position provides an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of innovative policy solutions to halt climate change, protect the world’s tropical forests, and support low-emissions growth in developing countries.
Role and Responsibilities
- Researching and writing high-impact policy briefs, background papers, and other materials
- Collaborating with internal and external peers on research and policy analysis
- Arranging, attending and participating in meetings with government officials, clients, and climate change stakeholders
- Coordinating projects to ensure efficient operation of the research and policy team
- Assisting with proposal writing and fundraising efforts as needed
- Truly exceptional academic achievement
- Discretion, creativity, maturity, intellectual curiosity, initiative, and good judgment
- Exemplary and proven communications skills in English, including writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of and passion for climate policy and action
- Ability to absorb and synthesize large amounts of information and data quickly
- Excels in a rapidly changing and dynamic political and business environment
- Exceptional collaborative style
- Ability to work on small teams at a fast pace and under time constraints
- Flexibility and desire to take on new roles and responsibilities as the firm evolves
- Strong research skills using library and online resources
Education and Experience
- 1-3 years practical experience in energy and climate policy strongly preferred
- Bachelors or Masters degree – graduate degree preferred
- Quantitative skills desirable
- Strong preference given to graduates of highly competitive programs in economics, international relations, environmental studies/science, or political science
- Must be willing to relocate/stay in DC
Salary and Benefits
This position provides salary and benefits that meet or exceed senior research assistant (RA) positions at comparable think tanks and research groups.
As this position offers an opportunity to gain experience in the inner workings of U.S. and international climate policy, the successful candidate will have opportunities to develop an invaluable network of climate advocates, policy makers and opinion leaders. Through experience over time with the firm, an outstanding performer will have opportunities to quickly advance to managing projects and pursuing an independent area of policy expertise and thought leadership.
About the Firm
Founded in 2008, Climate Advisers has rapidly become a leading mission-driven, full-service consulting firm focusing on climate and energy policy. Our mission is to help clients and partners halt climate change in ways that further the public interest and improve their return on investment. Working globally but headquartered in Washington, DC, Climate Advisers specializes in U.S. climate change policy, international climate cooperation, global carbon markets, demand-side and trade-based climate strategies, low-emissions development, and climate-related forest conservation. Over the past six years we have carried out important original research, convened leading climate change stakeholders, forged new political coalitions, mobilized new voices for climate action, and advised senior policy makers in the Obama Administration and Congress. Our supporters and partners include leading national governments, international financial institutions, companies, think tanks, philanthropic foundations, conservation organizations, and climate advocacy groups.
Climate Advisers is a new type of organization that cuts across traditional boundaries. We combine the rigorous analysis of an independent research institution, strategic approach and responsiveness of a consulting firm, mediation skills of a professional facilitator, and, vitally, mission-driven values of a public interest advocate. In brief, Climate Advisers marries the professionalism, talent, discipline, and nimbleness of the private sector with the values and goals of the non-profit community. Visit us athttp://www.climateadvisers.com for more information.
Climate Advisers Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
Equal Opportunity is Climate Advisers’ policy and we therefore strive to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Our management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
How to apply:
Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word or pdf format), and a writing sample should be sent to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Associate” and your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.