Finance Associate-Huntington Park, CA.
Organization: Communities for a Better Environment-CBE
Position Title: Finance Associate
Location: Huntington Park, CA
Hours and Compensation: Full time
Application Deadline: Not listed.
CBE is a nationally-renowned environmental justice organization that has led numerous successful campaigns against some of the largest polluters in California, including refineries and power plants. Over the past 35 years, our victories have changed practices at more than 200 industrial facilities. We partner with national environmental organizations, as well as local and statewide environmental and social justice organizations and other allies, in order to reduce or prevent pollution and green house gas emissions and transform our communities into healthier and more sustainable environments.
CBE combines community organizing, science and law to advance environmental justice and to engage community members in urban, low-income communities of color. A multi-ethnic organization with 26 staff, CBE has offices in Oakland and Huntington Park, as well as satellite offices in Richmond and Wilmington. This position will be based in our Huntington Park office.
General Position Summary:
CBE seeks a well-organized, self-motivated individual with proven skills to cover a wide range of day to day office responsibilities including bookkeeping/accounting functions as well as administrative support. Work is performed under the general direction and supervision CBE’s Director of Finance and Operations. The position requires a commutative and team player, with high ethical standards.
- Processes all accounts payable checks according to organization procedures.
- Matches receipts and invoices with Check Request Form to assure accuracy and prepare for entry.
- Enters, prints and mails accounts payable checks.
- Maintains all accounts payable files, to include filing invoices in designated areas and updating vendor information on computer.
- Performs end-of-month procedures as required.
- Records receipt of checks via postal mail and prepares them for bank deposit.
- Reconciles bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Provides extensive support with yearly audit process, including preparation of preliminary documentation and other services as requested by audit firm.
- Assists with new employees including preparing and facilitating orientation process.
- Coordinates processing of terminations.
- Collects timesheets from staff, and processes payroll.
- Prepares, and posts regular payroll journal entry in QuickBooks.
- Answers employee payroll, benefit and other related inquiries as needed.
- Helps prepare 1099 reporting.
- Prepares and reviews end of month reports in a timely manner.
- Supports the Executive Director with his calendar, coordinating meetings and special project research.
- Expert handling of all general office functions, including mail, fax, and copy.
- Oversees details of staff and board meetings to include preparing meeting room, scheduling conference calls, and meeting packets.
- Oversees general office coordination including ordering office supplies, handling office equipment, and arranging equipment repairs as needed.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must have basic understanding of accounting principles and procedures.
- Must have technical competence with accounting, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
- Experience with QuickBooks.
- High accuracy, attention to detail and deadlines, organization and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must have strong time management skills.
- Ability to ensure a positive, team-oriented environment.
- Must have people skills and be customer service-oriented.
- Ability to work in a manner that complies with company safety standards and policies
Compensation: Salary is competitive and based on experience. Benefits include comprehensive health insurance and 26 days paid leave (including holidays) in the first year.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to:firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and Finance Associate in the subject line. Position open until filled.
CBE is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ, and all qualified persons to apply for this position