Research Scientist-New York.
Position Title: Research Scientist.
Location: New York.
Hours and Compensation: Salary Range: $63,662 – $79,899.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The Office of Evaluation and Research (OER) serves as the agency’s internal policy research and program evaluation team and analytic resource, providing the Commissioner and HRA’s Executive Team with critical insights into the effectiveness of the City’s policies and programs. OER addresses key policy-relevant research questions by conducting primary research and monitoring new and emerging research. Primary research activities include statistical analyses of administrative data and national survey data related to poverty, the labor market, family health and well-being, and public benefit use. OER also collects and analyzes new data through surveys, in-depth interviews, focus groups, and observations involving agency clients, staff, and other stakeholders. In addition, as the agency’s internal program evaluation team, OER assess the effectiveness of agency efforts with rigorous implementation and impact evaluations.
The Office of Evaluation and Research plays a critical role in advancing HRA’s vision to assist low-income New Yorkers. We are seeking an experienced researcher who is committed to this goal and brings the skills and expertise to expand the team’s capacity to conduct sophisticated statistical analysis and rigorous evaluations. The Research Scientist will:
· Contribute to setting a research agenda that will support and enhance agency policy initiatives, organization structure, program objectives and budget priorities.
· Lead rigorous research and/or evaluation projects, including articulating research questions, developing a research plan, and creating related data collection tools.
· Develop policy and program recommendations based on research and evaluation results, and communicate findings to internal and external audiences through reports and presentations.
· Monitor and synthesize relevant emerging research.
· Respond to time-sensitive research and policy analysis activities, such as responding to proposed City legislation.
· Supervise interns and temporary staff.
Candidates must have strong analytical skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team, managing multiple projects and deadlines. Candidates should also have experience conducting quantitative and/or qualitative research and should bring one or more of the following:
· Working knowledge of applied statistics and data analytics, including proficiency in a statistical software package (e.g., SPSS, Stata, SAS, R).
· Experience designing and implementing experimental and/or quasi-experimental program evaluations.
· Experience analyzing large scale survey data, such as the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey.
· Working knowledge of federal and state social policies and social service programs.
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least a master’s degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in “2” above. Two
years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in “1” and “2” above.
Salary Range: $63,662 – $79,899.
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration, please go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search for Job ID #146694 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER