Sandy Outreach Workers – Staten Island-Staten Island, NY.
Organization: Make the Road New York
Position Title: Sandy Outreach Workers
Location: Staten Island, NY.
Hours and Compensation: Part time. Temporary
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Make the Road New York has been working in Sandy affected areas engaging community members in conversations related to the recovery process from Hurricane Sandy. As part of MRNY ongoing Sandy work we are launching an outreach effort to evaluate the on-going needs and lasting effects of the storm on Staten Island, connect individuals and families to available sources of aid and to engage residents in MRNY’s Sandy recovery organizing campaigns.
- Conduct outreach to renters in Sandy affected areas in Staten Island, in public spaces such as grocery stores, Staten Island Ferry, community hubs and at their homes
- Conduct outreach over the phone with families previously identified by MRNY
- Canvass each contact using the survey designed by MRNY
- Gather referrals for new contacts from survey participants
- Conduct initial screening for recovery resources and connect participants with MRNY legal and case management teams
- Accurately input data at the end of every shift
- Attend daily strategy sessions to map turf
- Attend daily feedback and training sessions to improve outreach
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. In particular candidates must have the ability to quickly build rapport in order to accurately collect personal information from strangers
- Strong community outreach and engagement skills, candidates must be able to set the stage for long term engagement between survey participants and MRNY
- Must be extremely detail oriented and organized
- Commitment to protecting sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Familiarity with Staten Island preferred
- Bi-lingual skills are plus
- Personal connection to Hurricane Sandy is a plus
- Commitment to social justice issues and experience with organizing strategies preferred.
Hours and Salary
- This is a part-time position (20 hours a week) for approximately 6 weeks. Outreach workers will be expected to work evening and some weekend shifts. Salary is $12 an hour. MRNY is looking for candidates that can start immediately.
How to apply
To apply please email your resume firstname.lastname@example.org