HFHC New England Regional Organizer Part Time Contractor-Reston, VA
Organization: Health Care Without Harm
Position Title: HFHC New England Regional Organizer Part Time Contractor
Location: Reston, VA
Hours and Compensation: Not listed.
Application Deadline: April 4, 2014
Health Care Without Harm is an international coalition of hospitals and health care systems, medical professionals, community groups, health-affected constituencies, labor unions, environmental and environmental health organizations and religious groups that advocate globally to eliminate healthcare practices that harm people and the environment. HCWH envisions a future with healthy people, resilient communities and a sustainable planet. HCWH is committed to transforming the health care sector so that it is ecologically sustainable and no longer a source of harm to the public’s health and the environment. To that end, we are working to implement ecologically sound and healthy alternatives to health care practices that pollute the environment and contribute to disease.
Healthy Food in Health Care (HFHC) is a national initiative of Health Care Without Harm (HCWH), developed in conjunction with its member organizations. We work with hospitals across the country to help improve the sustainability of their food services. Founded in 2005, the program provides education, tools, resources, and support to health care facilities, making the connection between the health of patients, staff and community and the food they serve. The HFHC program is led by a team of allies from HCWH member organizations around the country, as well as independent contractors and HCWH employees that provide issue-driven expertise and operate Regional HFHC Projects to stimulate advancement of program goals.www.healthyfoodinhealthcare.org.
Health Care Without Harm is seeking an experienced organizer to work with hospitals throughout New England as a contractor to transform their procurement and food service operations to build a healthier, regional food system. The organizer will also work as part of a National HFHC Team on a set of projects that connect the regional work with our National policy and procurement objectives.
Ideal candidate will have an understanding of sustainable agriculture and supply chain issues, and knowledge of the institutional purchasing landscape.
– Attend an in-person meeting at the Regional Healthy Food in Health Care office in Somerville MA once per month to update on status of deliverables.
– Organize State teams of healthcare leaders and strategic partners to implement sustainable purchasing objectives.
– Gather data for region and analyze to showcase impact of efforts.
– Provide input in organizational discussions regarding strategic issues, the production of materials and policy positions, and event planning with regards to the region.
– Administer surveys, write reports, policy positions, advocacy materials and other documents as necessary to achieve the deliverables.
– Develop or provide input in the development of fact sheets and other public information.
– Represent HCWH/HFHC NE work at conferences, meetings and to the various audiences at large.
– Participate in monthly national Program Team Calls to provide updates on status of deliverables as necessary or collect information in order to complete deliverables.
– Advanced degree or equivalent experience in relevant field preferred. Preference is given to candidates with understanding of environmental health issues related to agriculture and food production.
– Strategic thinking specifically with regards to collective impact and partnership development
– Strong organizational skills, including experience with project management
– Strong communication skills, both written and oral
– Problem solving and analytical skills
– Leadership skills particularly the ability to self-motivate and work independently and part of a team
– Research and writing skills
– Experience with public speaking and developing and administering presentations
– Experience using internet based tools for communication, outreach and advocacy work
– Ability to identify leverage points and common goals in order to rally support for a certain issue
– Minimum of 5 years experience in community organizing, particularly working on sustainable agriculture and supply chain issues and/or health care engagement and reform
– Track record in successful campaigning, program development and implementation of a vision
– Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team.
– Proven ability to manage multiple deliverables simultaneously
– Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of people and groups.
– Examples of effective research/writing, public speaking, policy engagement and/or organizing people around an issue.
– Ability to travel within New England
Negotiable within the New England area, preferably in Southern Vermont, Southern New Hampshire, Southern Maine or Greater Boston.
The positions deliverables will be met with a half-time contractor position through the end of 2014. There will be potential for a renewed contract for 2015 with potential additional deliverables for additional hours.
Health Care Without Harm is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Veronique Nagle, HR Manager email@example.com with the subject “Last Name, First Name – HFHC RO Idealist”. For more information about the Healthy Food in Health Care program, visitwww.healthyfoodinhealthcare.org
DEADLINE TO APPLY: April 4, 2014