Environmental Health Monitoring and Evaluation Manager-Turkey
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Position Title: Environmental Health Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: May 18, 2014
In the wake of movements for revolutionary change across the Arab Levant and Maghreb, civil protests against the Assad regime began in Syria in spring 2011. Over the past 20 months, civil war has proliferated across the country. In the same period, the response by the regime has grown progressively more repressive and violent, culminating in the almost continuous use of heavy weaponry against densely populated urban areas in concert with indiscriminate shooting, arbitrary arrest, torture and killing of citizens by internal security forces. The IRC maintains humanitarian programming across the region focused on aiding those affected by the crisis. Programming is focusing on providing medical, protection as well as environmental health assistance, to those most in need.
The EH Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will provide leadership and technical expertise to ensure that IRC’s Environmental Health Remote Monitoring System is implemented effectively. He/She will be the key focal point in the programme for all aspects of EH Monitoring and Evaluation. A key part of the role will be capacity building and remote support to the enumerator teams inside Syria. The position will be supported by a Data Collection Officer and an IT Support/Web Development Officer.
The system will initially be piloted in Northern Idlib and, if successful, expanded to other Governorates in Northern Syria. The outputs of the system are intended to serve all WASH actors operating in Northern Syria. Accordingly, the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will work closely with the WASH Working Group (WG) Information Manager who will be responsible for information dissemination to other participants in the WASH WG.
- Develop and maintain a remote monitoring framework which will facilitate evidence based recommendations to the WASH WG members in the development and delivery of WASH Programmes in Northern Syria.
- Ensure that harmonization of agreed monitoring tools is adhered to by WASH WG members at the operational level.
- Develop an in-depth understanding and analysis of the WASH technical landscape in Northern Syria including the processes related to the legal and policy framework governing the WASH sector and standards, evolving institutional roles and responsibilities on relevant issues.
- Coordination within the WASH Working Group
- Establish strong working relationships with the WASH Sector and WASH Information Management Coordinators and other WASH WG members and develop an in-depth understanding of their activities, and the specific contexts, both technical and non-technical in which they work.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead on the development and harmonisation of relevant data collection tools and the development of a centralized database, accessible to all relevant stakeholders through a web based interface.
- Develop and maintain and efficient mechanism to capture data generated by non-IRC enumerators for incorporation into the main Database.
- Lead on the continual evaluation of adopted methodologies and approaches to ensure a sustainable and strong evidence base for programme design and review as well as for advocacy on technical issues.
Capacity building and training
- Run start-up and refresher training modules for IRC enumerators on the implementation of all data collection tools.
- Participate in, support or lead relevant capacity building initiatives and workshops targeting WASH WG members on the implementation of agreed data collection tools.
- Input into proposals and reporting processes.
- Representation at national and international fora as required and relevant.
- Relevant Qualification in a WASH related discipline (engineering; environmental health; public health, etc.)
- At least 2 – 3 years of experience senior management of WASH programmes in emergency contexts.
- Experience in the design and implementation of assessments, quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation.
- Previous experience of working within a network of organisations.
- Experience of managing remote monitoring systems.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Practical technical experience in design and construction of a variety of water and sanitation facilities with a focus on rural and peri-urban contexts.
- Strong IT skills, including experience in developing digital survey tools on the Open Data Kit platform or similar.
- Experience in applying VBA for Excel for data analysis.
- Strong communication, information management and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding and commitment of the importance of gender and protection in emergency programme delivery.
- An understanding of accountability as applied within emergency programming.
- Understanding of the Syrian context and experience of working in similar contexts.
- Fluent written and spoken English skills with demonstrable experience of writing reports for a variety of audiences.
- Arabic an advantage.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: :http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=c3RldmVueS4xODMzMC40MzU4QGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20