Executive Assistant Friends of the Desert Mountains-Palm Desert CA
Organization: Friends of the Desert Mountains
Position Title: Executive Assistant
Location: Palm Desert CA
Hours and Compensation: $37,500 and $42,500/ annual
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Friends a group of passionate community members that love the mountains and desert land of the Coachella Valley and have organized ourselves to care for them. We believe that in doing so we not only protect the mountains but also enrich our entire community. We acquire land, protect it, lead hikes, build and maintain trails, pull weeds, educate kids, give talks, man the National Monument’s Visitor Center, and many other things. We invite prospective staff team members to submit an application to join us.
The Executive Assistant will work directly with the Executive Director to develop and expand a focused marketing program; a multi-dimensional fundraising program and a Public Education / Outreach program. Specific goals will be the development of a database system and the construction of a tiered membership program. All work will be in concert with and focused on assistance for the Executive Director. The position will remain open until filled. The successful candidate will be proficient in developing and maintaining databases and will be knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Microsoft Access, Constant Contact and WordPress is preferred. The candidate should be self-directed, have a passion for conservation, an eagerness to learn, excellent written and verbal communication skills, be familiar with social media tools; and enjoy interacting with people.
Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and maintain a database of constituents, supporters, donors (including all on-line and in-kind donations), volunteers, and members that allows tracking, analysis, and reporting of donations, membership status, etc. over time to facilitate outreach, prompt response to donations received, and ongoing communication with donors. Concurrent with the formulation of the database, develop an understanding of the organization’s land acquisition program for possible inclusion into the database management system.
- With input from the Fundraising Committee, develop and implement a Membership Program.
- Manage receipt and input of all members’ dues and donations into the database.
- Develop a set of print communication and social media tools to inform and encourage advocates of the organization (Newsletters, e-blasts, Facebook, published calendars and Quarterly Membership Reports).
- Schedule Outreach engagements and maintain a Marketing calendar.
- Provide staff support to the Marketing, Fundraising & Outreach Committee as needed.
- Work with the ED to develop and maintain relationships with valley business associations (P.D. Chamber, Hospitality Association, Convention & Visitors Authority, etc.)
- Develop a working knowledge of land conservation in the area and be able to carry the message of the Friends to the public.
- For all non-land acquisition related grants received by the Friends, generate Grantor-required reports for review by the Executive Director.
- Provide executive level support to the Director as needed, such as scheduling meetings and appointments; drafting correspondence; organizing and maintaining computer files, etc.
- Coordinate and/or assist the Executive Director and the Director of Operations with events.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Little Green Light, Microsoft Access, Constant Contact and/or WordPress is preferred.
- Good organizational skills: filing (hard copy and computer file).
- A passion for conservation.
- Good communication skills; the ability to speak to the Press and to deliver the Organization’s message to the public.
- Practical experience with non-profit fundraising and marketing is preferred.
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary is between $37,500 and $42,500, depending on experience and qualifications. The Friends’ benefits package includes paid holidays, paid vacation, sick days, and health insurance.
Benefits also include working with an incredible staff and a dynamic group of volunteers on behalf of an engaged, diverse Board of Directors all for an organization that is admired and respected throughout the community for their tireless work on behalf of conservation.