School Leader-Kealakekua, HI.
Organization: Kona Pacific Public Charter School
Position Title: School Leader
Location: Kealakekua, HI.
Hours and Compensation: Salary commensurate with educational background and relevant work experience. Generous state benefits, including health care, pension, and life insurance.
Application Deadline: Not listed
Kona Pacific Public Charter School on Hawai’i Island seeks an inspired educator to lead our maturing school. We are currently in our sixth school year, and have attained full size, with 240 students K-8, and a staff of 40. After growing 25% each year for five years, we are entering a period of strengthening stability, and we seek a colleague to lead us as we challenge ourselves to improve in all that we do for the children and community.
Well-qualified candidates will have extensive leadership experience, classroom teaching and public school experience, a graduate degree in education, expertise in Waldorf education, and a commitment to social justice and cultural and place-based education. If you are philosophically in alignment with our mission of providing a nurturing, life-changing education to our low- income rural community, we encourage you to apply.
Kona Pacific offers a comprehensive education that weaves together three strands:
• A Common-Core aligned Waldorf curriculum taught by trained Waldorf teachers;
• An educational program that embraces the values inherent in the Hawaiian culture, with particular focus on environmental education and community sustainability through understanding and respect for the people, land and sea of Hawai’i; and
• A curriculum rich in the life-sustaining practices of farming and gardening that are a vital part of Hawai’i Island life.
Our school serves a diverse population that might not otherwise have access to a Waldorf educational program. Approximately 70% of our students are eligible for free/reduced cost lunch, and 15% come from families where English is not the primary language. Each student at Kona Pacific is inspired to a high level of academic excellence, enthusiasm for learning, a healthy self-awareness, interest and concern for others, and respect for the natural world.
Kona Pacific is located in Kealakekua, West Hawai’i, ten miles south of Kailua-Kona. In the heart of Kona Coffee country, our campus is situated on a 40 acre-property with beautiful forest areas featuring many native trees and plants, sacred Hawaiian sites, and a biodynamic farm (currently fallow). The campus overlooks the South Kona Coast—where glorious sunsets, natural beauty, and world-class snorkeling, scuba and outrigger canoe paddling are only minutes away. Cool breezes, moderate year-round temperatures, and a small, friendly community provide a comfortable, inspiring, and supportive environment.
Our team includes 14 Waldorf-trained educators, a Director of Student Services, an Educational Program Director, and a full complement of office and support staff. The school is moving out of its pioneering phase and has a well-developed organizational infrastructure, with mature committee structure, and a substantial library of best practice, policy, and procedure.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate mastery of: best practices in school leadership, Waldorf educational philosophy, standards-based curricular design and assessment, instructional best practices, coaching skills, building professional learning communities and sustainable organizations, and strategic planning capacities. The school leader builds bridges between all constituent groups and must have the capacity to envision how leadership decisions affect all
facets of the school community, particularly the education provided to the students. Must be adept at the administrative functions and supervisory responsibilities of school operations, such as: recruiting, development, admissions, public relations, facilities, and fiscal oversight.
- US citizenship, or valid work visa
- B.A. in Education or a relevant field
- Substantial experience as an educator or school leader
- Waldorf training or equivalent
- 5 years or more experience in school administration
- 5 years or more experience as a public sector educator
- Administrative training
- Experience with agricultural ventures
- Experience with cultural perpetuation programs
Start Date: Start date flexible – between April 2014 and July 2015.Compensation: Salary commensurate with educational background and relevant work
experience. Generous state benefits, including health care, pension, and life insurance.
How to apply:
- Contact: We appreciate receiving applications via email, though we will accept faxes at (808) 322-4906. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “school leader” in the subject line of the email. You will be contacted by a member of the hiring committee if we are interested in pursuing your application.